Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Diagnosing Liver Cancer

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Diagnosing Liver Cancer

Postby Webster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 am

My mom has been diagnosed this week with liver cancer based on CT scan, blood work and ultrasound test results. A biopsy is required to confirm the results and to follow medical procedures. She has a permanent AF condition.

Apologies for the many questions below:

- What is the risk(if any) associated with biopsies and in this case, of the liver?

- Would she require a full anesthesia for the biopsy and if not what are the alternatives?(assume this is a very invasive and painful procedure.

- Are there any other alternative tests that could also confirm the diagnosis.
Webster

Diagnosing Liver Cancer

Postby Schmaiah » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:46 pm

My mom has been diagnosed this week with liver cancer based on CT scan, blood work and ultrasound test results. A biopsy is required to confirm the results and to follow medical procedures. She has a permanent AF condition.

Apologies for the many questions below:

- What is the risk(if any) associated with biopsies and in this case, of the liver?

- Would she require a full anesthesia for the biopsy and if not what are the alternatives?(assume this is a very invasive and painful procedure.

- Are there any other alternative tests that could also confirm the diagnosis.
Schmaiah

Diagnosing Liver Cancer

Postby Zev » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 pm

The risks of liver biopsies - which is what we are discussing here - are very small.

All liver biopsies I have done while I worked were done with only local anesthesia and that was enough! On the other hand here in Sweden colonoscopies are usually done without any anesthesia at all - all my own 4 colonoscopies were done that way. But there are countries where they are usually done during general anesthesia. So what the routines are in Canada I do not know.

There are NO alternatives. Yes it is invasive but if done correctly not very painful.

As I just wrote there are no alternatives.

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH

There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!
Zev

Return to Liver Cancer