Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Dad Dying Of Aggresive Rare Liver Cancer

Liver Cancer research, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Gildea » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:07 am

hi, my dad was diagnosed 12mnths ago with bowel cancer and secondary liver cancer, they got all the bowel cancer out. they started chemo on the liver and after 5 months he went into total remission, then after 4months he started having same symptoms again and after tests 2 weeks ago found it was back. they started him on a much stronger chemo this time round that made him soooooooo sick that he has been in hospital now a week on a drip, antibiotics, morfien, you name it...when he was admitted to hospital last week his white blood count was at 000 with no imune system at all and protien levels dropping each day. wihtin the week the bloods have come up to .2, he still not able to eat or drink much he has symptoms of jaundice, fluid, gurggling in his chest(cancer moved to chest now also) evrytime he eats or drinks it burns him...his oncologist said if his blodds didnt come up he would pass in a couple of days but he seems to be getting a bit better with the eating and drinking but now unable to have any more chemo...how long would you say he has to live?
Gildea

Postby Yuli » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:31 am

Hello Jade and thank you for writing,

I am so sorry to read about your Dad's illness. It is very difficult for anyone to guess over the Internet but based on the details you shared with me I would say your Dad's system has very little left to fight with and he has entered his final stage. If he continues to receive fluids and nutrition via the IV then he could survive a few weeks, but without this I would imagine he would slip away within a few days.

I do wonder why the hospital is giving him IV fluids and medications when he has such advanced cancer. The goal should always be patient comfort and quality of life.

I hope this helped answer some of your questions, my thoughts are with you all during this very difficult time.

Magot
Yuli

Postby Reeve » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:44 pm

hi, my dad was diagnosed 12mnths ago with bowel cancer and secondary liver cancer, they got all the bowel cancer out. they started chemo on the liver and after 5 months he went into total remission, then after 4months he started having same symptoms again and after tests 2 weeks ago found it was back. they started him on a much stronger chemo this time round that made him soooooooo sick that he has been in hospital now a week on a drip, antibiotics, morfien, you name it...when he was admitted to hospital last week his white blood count was at 000 with no imune system at all and protien levels dropping each day. wihtin the week the bloods have come up to .2, he still not able to eat or drink much he has symptoms of jaundice, fluid, gurggling in his chest(cancer moved to chest now also) evrytime he eats or drinks it burns him...his oncologist said if his blodds didnt come up he would pass in a couple of days but he seems to be getting a bit better with the eating and drinking but now unable to have any more chemo...how long would you say he has to live?
Reeve

Return to Liver Cancer