Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Could I Have Skin Cancer?

Melanoma and Skin Cancer Discussion

Postby Claytin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:43 am

Three days ago my jawline was itchy so i scratched it but stopped after i realised i had scratched a mole. The mole didnt bleed but formed a scab. It hasnt changed in colour, size, is asymetrical and the border isnt jagged however i am extremely concerned in case i have skin cancer as the mole was itchy and has now formed a small scab after i scratched it. I havent sleep in three days due to my constant worry of skin cancer and i have been crying all day. I went to a pharmacist yesterday because i couldnt get a doctors appointment. I showed him the mole and he said that it looked normal to him, and i shouldnt worry and even if it was cancerous (which he doesnt think it is) it could easily be removed as its so small and would be a very early stage. Today my doctor said the mole looked normal and the scab was due to the trauma of the scratching. she has sceduled me in again in two weeks to see if the scab clears, and if it doesnt she'll send me to a dermotoligist. She says that it looks normal and told me not to worry about it but I still am so afraid incase it's cancerous what should I do, should i believe my doctor?
Claytin

Postby wanikiy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:51 am

Trust your doctor. I have had a mole removed previously, for cosmetic reasons. I scratched at it and it scabbed and I had similar worries to you. But it was not cancerous. :) If you want it removed you may be able to get it removed by the NHS for free. However if not, it costs around £150-200 to get moles removed. Don't worry though. Just don't get sunburnt as it can affect your skin if you have a lot of moles so make sure in the summer if you are worried to wear high factor sun cream. :)
wanikiy

Postby cecilius27 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:53 am

Your doctor spent years at university and years at medical school, so yes you should believe her.
She has asked you to come back so she can make sure.
You will not die of cancer in two weeks. You scratched the mole and damaged it so it has scabbed over as it should.
Stop worrying.
cecilius27

Postby Brodrick » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:13 am

Under 30, theres zero chance of skin cancer It's an old person's disease, just like heart attacks, strokes and colon cancer.
Brodrick

Return to Melanoma and Skin Cancer