Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Could I Have Deep Vein Thrombosis Or Is There Another Reason For This? Please Help.?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Could I Have Deep Vein Thrombosis Or Is There Another Reason For This? Please Help.?

Postby Darragh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:59 am

I am a 26 year old healthy female and have recently (past year) been getting random swelling in my legs (my calves). Someones just one will swell up, sometimes both. If I keep them crossed over or if I squat down on the floor they swell up and are uncomfortable. I've also experienced a few 3:00AM leg cramps over the past few months that have crippled me so badly with pain I have cried and not been able to move for minutes, followed by limping a bit the next day.

I am so worried because I am on the pill, Yasmin, and I have read online and in the packet book that Deep Vein Thrombosis is a side effect of taking the pill for unlucky people.

I am so worried that I could be one of the unlucky ones!

I am going to the doctors tonight but I need some help now from people who may know.

Right now my legs are tingling and I get random pain in both my legs.

Thankyou
Darragh

Postby Prospero » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:03 am

It does not sound like DVT, yet i'm happy you're seeing a doctor w/ the medicine you're taking and it fairly is hazards. I actual have been informed with the help of docs that leg cramps may be brought about with the help of no longer sufficient potassium on your device, which could come from taking diuretics/ water pills. eating a banana will right now treatment this cramp subject no rely if it fairly is that this. you're saying you're very healthful, which then i anticipate, you do no longer take a seat lots. My son who's 22 does not get sufficient interest and his legs swell from sitting too lots.. no longer solid. I had that subject additionally, in spite of the fact that it replaced into from the onset of congestive heart failure, and got here with many different indicators which you haven't any longer have been given. It additionally sounds such as you will possibly have a clot on your veins someplace. I had a buddy who did and she or he had the swelling and discomfort. Please tell me what your well-being practitioner suggested, in case you do no longer concepts. i'm curious to recognize.
Prospero

Postby Alwin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:06 am

Its good you are going to a doctor.
Signs of a DVT include redness around the site where you hurt it can also feel warm.
Also, lay down on your back, relax your legs and have some body push your feet up.
If you get pain in the back of your calf when they push back on your feet could also be a sign of a dvt.
That is called a positive homan's sign.
Good luck
Alwin

Postby Row » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:10 am

Just honest, hi and to be just honest with you, you appear to be a bright and smart person besides that pretty smile on a beautiful face,

It is better to stop the pill with your concerns and the symptoms and some of the signs you are describing. Hope you do not smoke and or use tobacco in any form and there is no family history of thromboembolic disease, that is clotting in the veins of extremities lower and upper and or any where else, also there is no history of trauma, swelling in the knee area such as what is known as Bakers cyst a fluid collection in the synovial membrane in the knee area, certain genetic disorders resulting in aberrant clotting cascade disorders, prolonged sitting as long driving, sitting in the plain, lack of activity usually following surgery, child birth and bed rest etc. Not to scare you but certain underlying conditions such as various kinds of Cancers such as stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, etc., hyperviscosity syndromes make person more vulnerable for DVT that is deep vein thrombosis.

Usually the swelling in the extremities is asymmetric but not always, painful especially on stretching, feeling of cords and presence of certain signs elicited by your doctor, unfortunately they all are not very diagnostic and when ever deep vein thrombosis is suspected by your doctor, the best is to investigate the condition thoroughly by ultrasonography, Nuclear Medicine techniques and the gold standard contrast radiography and certain blood tests as the treatment is essential and is quite seriously undertaken with strict and closely monitored supervision.

As you know it is not good to put the cart infront of the horse so with all the info given and you have and plan to research is fine but should not be a source of anxiety and panic but of concern and information so as to check with your doctor.

As per quotation of Dr. Singh, "The key to proper treatment is proper diagnosis and the key to proper diagnosis is proper history and thorough physical examination along with proer tests tailored according to the need thus determined by an astute physician"; therefore it is best to check with your physician as you are planing to,

Statistical chances of you having DVT is low but pill is a risk factor even at young age and you need to check with your doctor as you quite intelligently are planing to do. Besides that PAD recognized recently to be rather a very common problem, women who smoke are at 11 times greater risk then the males to develop it, the risk increases further with history of smoking. Exercise, and leg cramps as also with electrolyte disturbances.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions and concerns. Take care and hope you and your friend feel better. Any question you may drop a line via friendly yahoo
Row

Return to Pancreatic Cancer