Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Could a kidney stone be mistaken for a tumor?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby jerrel82 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:21 am

I have bladder cancer and the doctors also said they found a tumor in the ureter that was blocking the urine from my bladder on the left side. I had a nephrostomy tube inserted into the left kidney. That was about 1 month ago. Ok so 2 days ago I had to go to the urologist for a possible infection, They did a CT scan and an Ultrasound. Afetr the ultrasound I noticed I had lots of pain in my back the kidney. I have a leg pouch for urine of course. I noticed the night before last that no urine was going to my pouch. I have kept a close watch because of possible blockage. It has been over 24 hrs now. No urine in pouch. With a blockage I would feel it I have had that before so I can tell thats not the problem. I have zero pain in my kidney not even discomfort . I was thinking. They use altrasound to break up large kidney stones and could this have happened by accident. Could it have been a kidney stone the whole time or is the chemo working that fast as to clear the tumor. I can only assume that the kidney is now draining into the bladder as normal. I don't know if this has or could happen.
jerrel82

Postby jonni » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 am

I have bladder cancer and the doctors also said they found a tumor in the ureter that was blocking the urine from my bladder on the left side. I had a nephrostomy tube inserted into the left kidney. That was about 1 month ago. Ok so 2 days ago I had to go to the urologist for a possible infection, They did a CT scan and an Ultrasound. Afetr the ultrasound I noticed I had lots of pain in my back the kidney. I have a leg pouch for urine of course. I noticed the night before last that no urine was going to my pouch. I have kept a close watch because of possible blockage. It has been over 24 hrs now. No urine in pouch. With a blockage I would feel it I have had that before so I can tell thats not the problem. I have zero pain in my kidney not even discomfort . I was thinking. They use altrasound to break up large kidney stones and could this have happened by accident. Could it have been a kidney stone the whole time or is the chemo working that fast as to clear the tumor. I can only assume that the kidney is now draining into the bladder as normal. I don't know if this has or could happen.
That's not exactly the same procedure they use to break up kidney stones. It could be that they chemo is simply working this fast. Check out the link below.
http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/extracorporeal-shock-wave-lithotripsy-eswl-for-kidney-stones
jonni

Postby riddock » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:33 am

You should have noticed an increase in normal urine flow if suddenly your left ureter was cleared. If it is, then I'd bet it was the chemo shrinking the tumor.

The sudden pain after the CT scan is worrisome, however, because CT contrast does affect the kidneys negatively. Has your overall flow gone down? In any case, you should call your urologist immediately. Whether good news or bad, a dry urine bag is a significant event.
riddock

Postby leon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:40 am

Call the doctor or hospital right now.
leon

Postby leon » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:51 am

An ultrasound they use for imaging is not the same as used for breaking up kidney stones and no, a tumor and a stone cannot be mixed up they look completely different.
Chemo does not work well for bladder cancer and is usually done after the bladder is removed.
If you have not had urine output in 24 hours you need to call your urologist right away.
leon

Postby abiah » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:07 am

Generally obstruction of a ureter would cause severe pain and nausea, but if it has developed slowly over time you might not get so many symptoms. Having no urine output for 24 hours is not good - either you have an obstruction or your kidneys are not functioning. The pain in the flank implies obstruction. If you had the IV contrast (dye) with the CT scan, it is possible that it caused your kidneys to shut down - if you are not making urine you need to call your urologist NOW. -sb
abiah

Return to Stomach Cancer