Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Colon Cancer And Tumor Coming Back?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby Maolmin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:35 pm

my husband was diagnosed almost 2 months ago with stage 2a colon cancer and the tumor they removed was t-3 he is still weak but his white blood count was over 20,000 two days later came down to 13,000 he recieved iron transfusion because he was anemic .. he is experiencing same problems as he was before the tumor removal .. pain ect. how rapid can a tumor grow back? and is it possible to grow that quick from surgery he had 30% of his colon removed just concerned and worried there is more cancer they havent seen...

thank you concerned wife nicki

Postby Aethelhard » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Unfortunately there is no way to tell how quickly a tumor can grow back. It all depends on the growth rate of the tumor, your husband's specific body chemistry, the drugs and dosages of those drugs that he is taking, and how his body responds to those chemo drugs. As for if it can grow back if he had 30% of his colon removed, it only takes a few tiny cells left behind for the cancer to grow again. Cancer surgeries are often tricky for that reason, and even though many surgeons will remove more tissue than is "necessary" just to be sure they got it all, it's an inexact science and some cells may remain behind.

I guess anything is possible, but he should see his oncologist for a more definitive answer to these questions. I'm sorry I couldn't give you a more complete answer, and best of luck to you and your husband

Postby Terrys » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Colon carcinomas grow very slowly.

That is one of the reasons they respond so poorly to chemotherapy.

The primary tumor could not have grown back in just two months.

He should see his doctor to figure out what is causing his renewed symptoms.

It should not be growth of any microscopic residual colon cancer.

We think colon cancers grow for years before they are large enough to be seen

or cause any symptoms.
I'm sure there is something wrong, but I think you

need not worry about tumor regrowth this soon.

Return to Colon Cancer