Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia life expectancy?

Leukemia and blood cancer discussion.

Postby aethelisdun » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:47 am

My grandfather urning eighty next year and only have one liver which is slowly failing. He has great memory ... and even continues to work (he's a doctor). He is very full of life and you can't even tell that he is sick. However, I want to know what the life expectancy usually is for CLL ... I can't find it anywhere. What is the most he'll probably live to? :(
aethelisdun

Postby lazaro » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:53 am

I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems like you think that people have more than one liver. All people only have one liver and you will die without it. Maybe you meant to say kidneys since there are 2 of those and you can still live with only one of them.

If he is turning 80, still works, has a great brain still and full of life, I would not worry about his life expectancy. It seems like he is still doing quite well.
lazaro

Postby shen21 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:02 pm

CLL tends to progress quite slowly. Patients with early stage CLL often don't require treatment and live another 10 to 20 years. Given that your grandfather is already 80, then he is more likely to die from causes other than CLL, provided the disease has not progressed.

The average 80-year-old lives another 7 or 8 years. No one lives forever.

BTW . . . everybody has one liver.
shen21

Return to Leukemia Forum