Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Research – Double Mastectomy Not Improving Survival Rates

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Chances of having cancer if both parents had it?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby aldo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 pm

My mom is a survivor of a breast cancer, and my dad lost his battle to cancer because he smoked too much.

I have two more siblings. Does that make all of us have 50% chance of getting cancer too?
aldo

Postby dywel » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Well, your dad had cancer due to his smoking that is something you can control to an extent by not smoking.

If you are a female and your mother had breast cancer you are at a higher risk. I don't know if you are female or not but if you are then you need to be more careful. By that I mean do monthly self breast exams. Let your doctor know that your mother had breast cancer. Chances are your doctor will want to examine you more regularly than the usual once per year type thing.

Some cancers you can avoid like lung cancer to an extent b/c smoking definitely triggers lung cancer but there are some cases where the person gets lung cancer that has never smoked. Of course other cancers are hereditary like breast cancer.

Next time you see your doctor share with him/ her your concerns and they will be able to give you a better and more precise answer. Good Luck.
dywel

Postby sedgewik » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 pm

No, it doesn't.

Hereditary cancer is rare; fewer than 10% of all cancer cases are hereditary. Cancer diagnosed after the age of 50 is even less likely to be hereditary.

If your mother's breast cancer was due to one of the 2 faulty BRCA genes known to be responsible for hereditary breast cancer, then you and your siblings have a 50% chance of inheriting that gene. But only 5 - 10% of all breast cancer cases are due to a BRCA gene, and if your mother's was one of the 90-95% that are not, then you are at no known increased risk of breast cancer.

You don't inherit a general tendency to get cancer, and there's no general 'cancer gene'.

A sign that a cancer MIGHT (only might) be hereditary within a family is when several members of the same side of that family have had the SAME type of cancer, especially if some developed it at a younger than usual age.

With at least one in three people getting cancer at some point in their lives, it's not unusual for several members of the same extended or even immediate family to have non-hereditary cancers.

Often people think this means cancer 'runs in their family', but this is rarely the case.

Both my parents had cancer too, and my mother died of it So did two of my grandparents, my aunt, my uncle and my cousin. Another cousin has recently been diagnosed.

None of their cancers were hereditary, and no members of my immediate or extended family have ever been considered at increased risk of any of the cancers they had.

Of my parents' 6 children, now aged from 50 to early 60s, I am the only one who has developed cancer, and mine too was non-hereditary and unconnected to theirs

EDIT: I notice someone has said ''Of course other cancers are hereditary like breast cancer.'' Breast cancer is no more likely to be hereditary than any other type of cancer. As I've pointed out already, only 5 - 10% of breast cancer cases have a hereditary factor
sedgewik

Postby colston » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 pm

No. Cancer is rarely genetic at all. For instance there is cancer on Both sides of my family, Father, Mother, Aunt, Grandmother, Grandfather, etc. and I got cancer all on my own. With no help from genetics. The genetic testing I took, showed that I did NOT Have the Gene AT ALL. If you are going to get cancer, you will get it on your own...but don't think you are doomed to get it, if both parents have had it.
colston

Postby ashwyn » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:49 pm

No, you are at no higher risk of getting cancer than anyone else although you should let your doctor know that your mother had breast cancer. There is no hurry to do this, just when you start having regular visits.
ashwyn

Postby marx » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 pm

You father died because he smoked too much so its not genetic at all.So i don't think so you have a chance of getting cancer.
marx

Postby riccardo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 pm

If your parents had different cancers, you are no more likely than anyone else to get it.
riccardo

Postby crandall » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Your mom had it and survived. Your dad lost to it.(Sorry about your loss)

That will leave you with 0%-75%
crandall

Postby jago51 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 pm

dont worry its not genetic
jago51

Return to General Cancer Discussion