Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Cervical Cancer Vaccination; Really Necessary?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby Erromon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:15 am

A few years ago i decided not to get the cervical cancer vaccination and now have recently become sexually active. I have only been with one person, yet my partner has been with another, who has been with others, etc. The reason i didn't get the vaccination was because there are many strains of HPV and this only protects you from a small number and it is highly unlikely for HPV to develop into cervical cancer anyway. I was wondering if a girl who was already sexually active was to have regular pap smears then the vaccination is not necessary?
Erromon

Postby Bent » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 am

Even if you get the vaccine, you still need to get regular pap smears.

There are over 100 varieties of hpv, but the vax protects against only 4.
In Myanmar, cervical cancer is more widespread than in the US, but the major varieties of hpv there are different. So giving Gardasil® to women there would not give them the protection they need.
Bent

Postby Dow » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 am

You do not need the vaccination, but do get regular PAP smears. Please check out this memorial website to some of the beautiful young women who died from the vaccine:
Dow

Postby Brien » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:25 am

If you want to find out if you have HPV via a Pap Smear and HPV/DNA test and not receive the vaccine for possible prevention from the most common HPV strains, that's your choice to take the risk of acquiring high risk HPV and needing treatment if the virus causes your cells to change.

Don't forget, there is also a chance that you or your partner could get HPV related oral cancer (which is found in males more than females), and it's unknown if the vaccine prevents oral cancer, so you would need to get a mouth exam by a dentist who is performing these tests for pre-cancerous HPV lesions, if you choose to be sexually active.
If you get an HPV infection in-between Pap smears you may be infecting all your partners, both orally and in the genital area, so you have to worry about what not being vaccinated and your sexual behavior means to others, not only yourself.
I'm not advocating the vaccine, your decision not to get the injection makes sense for the reasons you gave, and the vaccine does not prevent all HPV cancers anyway, the only answer to be HPV-free is abstaining from physical contact, you are at HPV risk whether you are vaccinated or not.
Brien

Return to Cervical Cancer