Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Cancer runs in both sides of my family, how likely is that I will have it?

Discuss Prostate Cancer

Postby bradach65 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:52 pm

Cancer runs in both sides of my family, less on my mothers side could be just random there but on my fathers side, there are no deaths on anyone for about 30 years that are caused by anything else than cancer. Breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men, on my grandfathers side he lost his father, mother and sister to breast and prostate cancer, my great great grandmother died from it too. on my grandmothers side her father died from it and her cousin but i don't know who he was, my father and his father (also me) have needle phobias so neither of them have been tested but there is a doctor who is looking in the family for some medical relations for this and if it is a genetic mutation. Most of them died of age around 40-60 but my great-grandmother reached 80, she also had it in her kidneys. Are there very high chances of me having the mutation that runs and should I be tested for it? (also is there a way to give blood sample without it involving needles :s)?
bradach65

Postby don34 » Thu May 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Cancer rarely runs in anyone’s family much less in both sides. Where did you come up with this?
If you have a first degree relative diagnosed with a hereditary cancer than you can be checked for it too once you are 18.
don34

Return to Prostate Cancer