Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Cancer Risk Increase With Family History?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby brodrick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:39 pm

My maternal grandmother, her sister (my maternal great aunt) and 4 of her 5 daughters (my cousins) all had (some have died) or have cancer. How greatly are my odds increased? Maternal great aunt had ovarian cancer and all the others were breast cancer.
I just completed IVF treatment and now have found a lump, should I insist I have a mammogram even though I'm only 31? The youngest in my family to develop cancer was 41.
brodrick

Postby edward » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Yes, you are at higher than normal risk! If you have one first degree relative (mother, daughter, sister) or two or more second degree relatives (grandmother, aunt, cousins) with breast or ovarian cancer, then you are at higher risk. The same genetic mutations (BRCA1 and BRCA2) increase risk of both ovarian and breast cancer. Of course it's possible you didn't get the gene (if it does run in the family). Your grandmother and her sister may have had it, yet your grandmother may not have passed it on to your mother. The only way to tell is to get tested.

Are you pregnant? If so, then I don't think you can get a mammogram. I'm surprised that the familial breast&ovarian cancer history didn't pop up and disqualify you from being a gestational carrier, if your own eggs are being used.
edward

Postby richardgere69 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 pm

When looking at family history most doctors are concerned about the primary family members history (mother, father, siblings). I would look at your mother and father and if they have not had cancer then I would say you are at about the same risk for it as anyone else.

Developing breast cancer young is possible but highly unlikely. Very small percentage get it younger than 50 years old and even a smaller percentage younger than 40. If you are concerned about the lump then it wouldn't hurt to have a doctor look at it. It most likely is a fat deposit or an enlarged lymph node.
richardgere69

Postby riagan37 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm

Unless you also have a first degree relative with breast or ovarian cancer your risk is not higher than anyone else. There person diagnosed at 41 should have been checked for one of the rare hereditary types of breast cancer and that would establish it there is such a cancer in your family. However one of your parents must also carry the gene mutation in order for you to have a 50% chance of inheriting it.
riagan37

Postby chadburne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:03 pm

I would get some blood work done, i dont think it has anything to do with having a mother whose had it, my grandmother had Ovarian Cancer,and passed away. i found out in Feb. i had stage 2 of fallopian tube cancer, i was all good and got everything done i was needed to get done to fight,it recently i have been having pain, and demanded a CT scan of my abdomen, and they found a 4cm cyst on my right ovary, ( getting that taken out on the 21st) so i would defiantly get it checked out if your worried!!!!
chadburne

Return to Ovarian Cancer