Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can you take chemotherapy and radiation at the same time?

Discuss Lymphoma, Hodgkins Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma

Postby thompson36 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:57 pm

my mom has breast cancer she is currently having radiation on her brain she will have her last treatment of radiation today my question is she was told by her doctor she take both the chemo and radiation at the same time is this true? her chemo is gemzar
thompson36

Postby aethelisdun » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, I have known people who have done this.
aethelisdun

Postby rang » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Yes, I have known people who have done this.
Yes.

It does increase side effects slightly but the treatments are over sooner.

I was having Chemo on 3 concurrent days every 4 weeks for 6 cycles and started my radiation (25 sessions at 1 every working day) the week of my 3rd round of chemo.
rang

Postby brodrik » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Yes, it is possible to have both chemotherapy and radiotherapy at the same time, and in fact this is quite common. One of the treatments will often be called an "adjuvant" treatment, meaning that is intended to back up the effects of the main treatment.

Whether or not they are given concurrently depends on the specific case. Sometimes you will have a full course of one treatment, then a full course of the other. In other cases they are both done together. You won't have them at exactly the same time, but you might have them on the same day.

Having chemotherapy and radiotherapy at the same time can be pretty intense for the patient, which is why sometimes you are given time to recover from one before starting the other. However, in some cases, it is better to do it all at once to improve the outcome. The doctor will work out which option is the best for your specific case.

I once worked in a hospital where chemotherapy and radiotherapy were given in different buildings. If the chemotherapy team ran late, it sometimes resulted in delays for us in radiotherapy if a patient was having both treatments on the same day.
brodrik

Return to Lymphoma