Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can you still orgasm after having ovaries removed (complete hysterectomy) without hormone replacement therapy?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Can you still orgasm after having ovaries removed (complete hysterectomy) without hormone replacement therapy?

Postby eanraig » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:32 pm

I am only 24 years old and I have the breast cancer gene BRCA2. Unfortunately, this gene can cause more than breast cancer. It is associated with an increased risk of ovarian, breast, and melanoma cancer. Ovarian cancer is very difficult to diagnose in its earlier stages and often it is too late once symptoms do occur. This means that my doctor has advised me to have my ovaries removed after I have my children, which will probably be in my thirties. Also, I cannot take Hormone Replacement Therapy because of the BRCA2 gene. Like I said before I am very young and my husband and I have an awesome sex life. He is very patient, caring, and understands about female physiology and biology. I always orgasm when we have sex because I orgasm by clitoral stimulation during intercourse. I'm worried that once my ovaries are removed, which is imminent, that I will never enjoy sex again. In my opinion sex helps me with depression, pain such as headache cramps, and even anxiety. In fact, the part of the brain responsible for anxiety shuts down during orgasm and your pain threshold increases. I think orgasm is a very important part of my health.

I have been reading many hysterectomy blogs and I think it is crazy when I hear woman say that "sex is still good but I don't have orgasms" or "the desire is mostly gone but it feels the same." If you have no desire to have sex why are you having sex? In my opinion if I don't have the desire and you’re doing it anyway do you not feel like you’re being raped? Secondly, if you’re not having an orgasm that means that sex is not feeling good enough to make you orgasm. Anyone who has ever had an orgasm knows that the best part of sex is right before you orgasm. I live in a very conservative town and dread having to discuss this with my very conservative doctor. I will eventually talk to my doctor but I would like to hear from woman who have actually been through this. I find that anecdotal records can be very enlightening.

If you have had your ovaries removed be honest and let me know if you still have orgasms. If you do, how do you have them (clitoral or vaginal). Do you think it takes longer to orgasm? Do they feel the same? Can you still orgasm by manual stimulus of clitoris or does it have to be with help by a vibrator or other aids? Make sure you include if you had Hormone Replacement Therapy because like I said before, I cannot take hormones. Or maybe you have never had an orgasm and the surgery did not have and affect on it.

I know Some studies say that woman report no change in their sex life but this raises many questions for me. Were these woman satisfied with their sex lives before the surgery? Did they have orgasms pre and post surgery? Do orgasms feel the same pre and post surgery? Do they feel sexually aroused as often as they did before the surgery?
eanraig

Postby jerriel » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I had ovarian cancer at 19, and fought for many years to keep one ovary, but eventually had it out at age 33 (but I take hormones--more on that later). I've been to a lot of ovarian cancer advocacy meetings and support groups and all that. And my honest answer is: sex will change. And you may very well find you can't orgasm at all with no hormones. Some can, though it is occasional and not as intense. And there's huge misinformation out there, because when they talk about whether you can or you can't, or whether sex is better or worse, most of the things people cite pertain to HYSTERECTOMIES only.

Anyway, I'm trying to be honest here, because I want you to get a clear picture, but I also want to present a few possible alternatives that you can explore with your doctors--and I recommend you go to a doctor at a teaching hospital, not your own small town doctor, because the teaching hospital doctors will be up on the research more. And get third and fourth opinions, too. And at least one of those opinions should be from a gynecologic-oncologist. So a few potential alternatives--I don't know if the docs will say these are OK or not. First of all:
1) being on birth control pills for 10 years restores the risk of those with familial breast and ovarian cancer down to the risk of someone without BRCA1 or BRCA 2. So what about if you went on birth control pills for 10 years before having surgery? Or get breasts removed and get implants and use birth control pills?

2) Do you have to get them out at age 24? I thought the recommendation for those with BRCA1 or BRCA 2 was at age 35.

3) What about getting breasts and ovaries removed, yet being on replacement hormones? Can you take hormones if you have had your breasts removed? I'd choose hormones over keeping my breasts any day. You can have implants so they'll look the same. Hormones have MUCH MUCH more importance on your health, well-being, quality of life, mental faculties, and even personality, than do natural breasts. (I use hormones, because my tumor didn't metastacize.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'm sorry if this sounds really overwhelming. Feel free to email me if you like. Good luck!

*I wrote a really long answer--longer than this. And it wouldn't let me post it because it was too long. So I shortened it. But if you want more info, email me.
jerriel

Postby danforth88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:38 pm

I had ovarian cancer at 19, and fought for many years to keep one ovary, but eventually had it out at age 33 (but I take hormones--more on that later). I've been to a lot of ovarian cancer advocacy meetings and support groups and all that. And my honest answer is: sex will change. And you may very well find you can't orgasm at all with no hormones. Some can, though it is occasional and not as intense. And there's huge misinformation out there, because when they talk about whether you can or you can't, or whether sex is better or worse, most of the things people cite pertain to HYSTERECTOMIES only.

Anyway, I'm trying to be honest here, because I want you to get a clear picture, but I also want to present a few possible alternatives that you can explore with your doctors--and I recommend you go to a doctor at a teaching hospital, not your own small town doctor, because the teaching hospital doctors will be up on the research more. And get third and fourth opinions, too. And at least one of those opinions should be from a gynecologic-oncologist. So a few potential alternatives--I don't know if the docs will say these are OK or not. First of all:
1) being on birth control pills for 10 years restores the risk of those with familial breast and ovarian cancer down to the risk of someone without BRCA1 or BRCA 2. So what about if you went on birth control pills for 10 years before having surgery? Or get breasts removed and get implants and use birth control pills?

2) Do you have to get them out at age 24? I thought the recommendation for those with BRCA1 or BRCA 2 was at age 35.

3) What about getting breasts and ovaries removed, yet being on replacement hormones? Can you take hormones if you have had your breasts removed? I'd choose hormones over keeping my breasts any day. You can have implants so they'll look the same. Hormones have MUCH MUCH more importance on your health, well-being, quality of life, mental faculties, and even personality, than do natural breasts. (I use hormones, because my tumor didn't metastacize.)

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I'm sorry if this sounds really overwhelming. Feel free to email me if you like. Good luck!

*I wrote a really long answer--longer than this. And it wouldn't let me post it because it was too long. So I shortened it. But if you want more info, email me.
Probably. Its your clitoris and vagina that are "used" for the orgasm. Becasue of a change in hormones you might not be as horny or have as high of a libido, but you could prob still have an orgasm. You'll just have to see!
danforth88

Return to Ovarian Cancer