Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can you refuse a pap test?

Cervical Cancer research and treatment discussions

Postby burdon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 am

Are there any repercussions to refusing a pap test? I just had one and it was very very painful. I don't think its really necessary for me since I'm not at risk for getting HPV/cervical cancer (not sexually active). At my next physical can I just tell my doctor no or will I not qualify for certain healthcare if I do that?
burdon

Postby said34 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:07 am

You are in control of your own healthcare. You can deny anything offered to you including parts of an exam and lab work etc. People do it all the time. However, I advise if you if you had anything on your prior Pap or on the history that if your doctor feels you need another one that you have one. You dont want to get cancer or whatever it may be. There are also new guidlelines on getting paps so you may not need one. Read this: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/14/health/brawley-cervical-cancer-screenings/index.html
said34

Postby grangere25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:12 am

Was that your first one? If so, then that's why it was painful. My first one was painful. Its very hard, but you need to be COMPLETELY relaxed. Being very relaxed completely changes the experience. You can go ahead and say you were relaxed, but it honestly shouldn't hurt if you were.
Just because you aren't sexually active doesn't mean they shouldn't do a pap test on you. They don't just check you for STD's.. They look at your cervix and they check your ovaries. They make sure everything is functioning and healthy. They could catch a serious problem by just doing those check ups.
I wouldn't refuse a pap test, because they are just there to help you.
You can definitely say no though, but they will tell you why it is important to get one. And I would listen to them, and just do it. They are uncomfortable and unpleasant, but they could save you from having your ovaries removed by doing this simple procedure once a year.
grangere25

Return to Cervical Cancer