Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!  

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can you die, or hemorrhage, from huge blood clots during your period?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby frederick18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 am

Okay, this sounds absolutely disgusting and I'm sooo embarrassed to talk about it, and even more embarrassed and TERRIFIED to go to the doctor. Which is super sad, because I'm a 31 year old woman!! So, I am having the worst period of my life. I haven't had one in a couple months, so maybe that's why, but I've been on for about 10 days now, and I'm having huge blood clots and it's really freaking me out. I don't have any cramps or anything, which I never really had any during that time of the month, but my stomach is swollen, hard, and feels very heavy. I just read about Ovarian Cancer and I am freakkkkking out so bad.. I have a GYN appt in 4 days, but I'm still scared.
frederick18

Postby fredric » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:25 am

Define huge? If you mean like fist size than I would go see a doctor. Clots in appearing in a woman's period blood in most cases is no reason for alarm. A woman's body is constantly going through changes, and these changes may cause the menstrual cycle to change along with it. However abnormally large blood clots or clots accompanied with pain should be investigated by a physician promptly. The Merck Manual states that during a normal menstrual period, women bleed between three to seven days. During this time, the blood flow can be light, medium or heavy and may be accompanied by blood clots. Although the majority of women who complain of blood clots have heavy menstrual cycles, blood clots can occur even in women with light cycles. In a normal menstrual flow, the body releases anticoagulants to keep the blood from clotting. However, if the blood flow is extremely heavy or strong, the body doesn't have enough time to send out these anticoagulants, so the blood clots. Passing blood clots the size of a quarter or larger is not normal. I myself usually get blood clots that aren't really circular, but they are kinda like fat sticks. They usually aren't that big, but they are painful. Here are some symptoms of Ovarian Cancer. I have counted myself out of this because I eat SO much all the time, especially on my period.

Abdominal pressure, fullness, swelling or bloating

Pelvic discomfort or pain

Persistent indigestion, gas or nausea

Changes in bowel habits, such as constipation

Changes in bladder habits, including a frequent need to urinate

Loss of appetite or quickly feeling full

Increased abdominal girth or clothes fitting tighter around your waist

A persistent lack of energy

Low back pain
fredric

Postby danon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:29 am

the blood in your period is not the same blood as in your veins
- in fact most of your period is the Broken down Tissue Lining of your Uterus mixed with Some blood

"In the days before ovulation, the hormone estrogen stimulates the uterus to build up its lining with extra blood and tissue, making the walls of the uterus thick and cushioned.

This happens to prepare the uterus for pregnancy: If the egg is fertilized by a sperm cell, it travels to the uterus and attaches to the cushiony wall of the uterus, where it slowly develops into a baby.

If the egg isn't fertilized, though — which is the case during most of a woman's monthly cycles — it doesn't attach to the wall of the uterus.
>>>>When this happens, the uterus sheds the extra tissue lining. The blood, tissue, and unfertilized egg leave the uterus, going through the vagina on the way out of the body. This is a menstrual period.

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/menstruation.html#
danon

Postby arlis100 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:38 am

It's incredibly rare to bleed out from a period. Are you filling more than two heavy-duty pads per hour? If you aren't, then you really aren't at risk of it (although if you are it might be worth it to get in earlier than in four days. Most docs keep some "emergency" slots open) Eat plenty of iron-rich foods while you are waiting for your doctor's appointment.

And while ovarian cancer is scary, you haven't really got any symptoms of it besides irregular bleeding, and there are *tons* of much more common, much less deadly things that can cause this. Try not to panic just yet, okay?

EDIT: Because I am a spaz and missed that you said you skipped a few periods, is there any possibility you were pregnant and are now miscarrying? If so, again, it's better to get in to see a doctor now and make sure the miscarriage is complete.
arlis100

Return to Stomach Cancer