Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can stress cause a tight stomach?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby elon » Wed Apr 21, 1999 5:11 pm

Hi there,I was just wondering if anyone could help. Im an 18 year old girl(don't smoke, rarely drink, good diet) and basically for the last couple of weeks, ive had like a tightness across the centre of my stomach which makes it feels like im breathing out constantly.A few times a day I may get little tingly pains that last a couple of seconds around my stomach(not painful, hardly noticeable) and a rumbly/bubbly feeling, kind of like when you're nervous. It feels better when im laying down, its most noticeable probably when Im sitting.It doesn't cause any pain,it just feels a bit unusual.It almost feels like im bloated or pregnant but im neither of these. I have no other symptoms except for my period being lighter than normal but I have read that is a sign of stress. I have been stressed the last few weeks, in particular with health worries and know someone that has just died from stomach cancer at only 40, so that's made me worry a lot. I went to see a nurse yesterday and she said that my stomach sounded and felt fine and she didn't suspect it was anything serious. She said its most likely to be caused by stress, or possible extra acid in my stomach. She also said it could be a pulled muscle even though it may not hurt like one. She said it maybe a pulled muscle caused by a cough I had a couple of weeks ago with a cold.She advised me to take gaviscon for a week after each meal and if it isn't no better, to go to my doctor just so she can double check. Im just wondering whether anyone else has experienced anything like this? Many Thanks!
elon

Postby archere » Fri Jul 09, 1999 12:46 pm

Stress can cause a `tight` stomach yes - very much so. So of course constant stress causes a constant tight stomach (and other unpleasant stomach symptoms). This is generally called `psychosomatic` trouble or illness (it means an emotional reaction - like stress or shock or even worry - can actually cause you to be physically ill.

You may already know that stress - over a long period - is suspected of causing stomach ulcers (very painful and almost impossible to treat properly).

You need to pinpoint exactly what it is that is stressing you out - and try to deal with it and calm down (not always easy I know). In the long term, try to practice a calmer attitude to life. Having a laid-back approach to life can give you a healthier life.
archere

Postby sedgewik » Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:58 pm

Stress can cause a `tight` stomach yes - very much so. So of course constant stress causes a constant tight stomach (and other unpleasant stomach symptoms). This is generally called `psychosomatic` trouble or illness (it means an emotional reaction - like stress or shock or even worry - can actually cause you to be physically ill.

You may already know that stress - over a long period - is suspected of causing stomach ulcers (very painful and almost impossible to treat properly).

You need to pinpoint exactly what it is that is stressing you out - and try to deal with it and calm down (not always easy I know). In the long term, try to practice a calmer attitude to life. Having a laid-back approach to life can give you a healthier life.
Thankyou 4 all these answers
sedgewik

Postby aelfraed50 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:23 am

It is difficult to say what is wrong with you but I would go and see my GP if I were you. I do not think you should worry too much about anything serious.
aelfraed50

Postby nykko65 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:57 am

Hi there.

Yes, stress can indeed cause you to feel a difference in your stomach. I, myself, had similar problems in the past. The Gaviscon should help settle any acid or heartburn. If you find it's not improving you can ask your doctor if they will prescribe you some Ranitidine which was a medication that worked quite well for me in stopping the stomach aches.

Ultimately, however, you need to eliminate the root cause and if this is stress then you need to look at that. Make sure that you relax often, take plenty of exercise. Don't work too hard and maybe take up yoga.

Hope that helps

[EDIT}

Obviously, if you suspect that there is a more serious problem then speak to your doctor. Although my own personal feeling is that you should be fine given a little time.
nykko65

Postby cwrig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:16 pm

This sounds very much like anxiety to me. I have a general anxiety disorder, and this has led to problems within my stomach. They use to call this a 'nervous stomach' when I was first diagnosed. It is now called colitis, and acts up when I eat certain foods that I never knew I was sensitive to. The foods that act up within me are dairy, wheat, or caffeine (coffee is really bad), or to much raw food. The acids from not being broken down (due to sensitivity of these things), creates these kinds of symptoms. It's something that can really be helped through the right kind of diet, and stress reducing activities.
cwrig

Postby cuchulain » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 am

Hi there,I was just wondering if anyone could help. Im an 18 year old girl(don't smoke, rarely drink, good diet) and basically for the last couple of weeks, ive had like a tightness across the centre of my stomach which makes it feels like im breathing out constantly.A few times a day I may get little tingly pains that last a couple of seconds around my stomach(not painful, hardly noticeable) and a rumbly/bubbly feeling, kind of like when you're nervous. It feels better when im laying down, its most noticeable probably when Im sitting.It doesn't cause any pain,it just feels a bit unusual.It almost feels like im bloated or pregnant but im neither of these. I have no other symptoms except for my period being lighter than normal but I have read that is a sign of stress. I have been stressed the last few weeks, in particular with health worries and know someone that has just died from stomach cancer at only 40, so that's made me worry a lot. I went to see a nurse yesterday and she said that my stomach sounded and felt fine and she didn't suspect it was anything serious. She said its most likely to be caused by stress, or possible extra acid in my stomach. She also said it could be a pulled muscle even though it may not hurt like one. She said it maybe a pulled muscle caused by a cough I had a couple of weeks ago with a cold.She advised me to take gaviscon for a week after each meal and if it isn't no better, to go to my doctor just so she can double check. Im just wondering whether anyone else has experienced anything like this? Many Thanks!
cuchulain

Return to Stomach Cancer