Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Cancer Rates in September 11 Responders Rising

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can someone have symptoms of hyperthyroid and hypothyroid at the same time?

Learn about Thyroid Cancer

Postby lee21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:52 pm

I've been taking thyroxine for 9 years since having a thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. I've never felt totally well on it and the doctors and endoctinologist are useless. All they do is alter the dose or add some T3 which doesn't help. But for the past couple of months I've been feeling so ill with symptoms of hyper and hypo at the same time. For example I have hyper symptoms like rapid pulse and sweating and it was so bad that I stopped taking the thyroxine totally for a week and am now taking a low dose (against doctors orders) but although it's made me very tired and apathetic, my heart rate is still too fast. I am seeing the endocrinologist again tomorrow but he is completely useless. I know he will do nothing. Even though he is unable to make me feel better he keeps on discharging me so that I have to go through my GP again and wait ages for another appointment. I feel so ill that I am going to kill myself if he does nothing to help me again.
lee21

Postby sevrin46 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:58 pm

I've been taking thyroxine for 9 years since having a thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. I've never felt totally well on it and the doctors and endoctinologist are useless. All they do is alter the dose or add some T3 which doesn't help. But for the past couple of months I've been feeling so ill with symptoms of hyper and hypo at the same time. For example I have hyper symptoms like rapid pulse and sweating and it was so bad that I stopped taking the thyroxine totally for a week and am now taking a low dose (against doctors orders) but although it's made me very tired and apathetic, my heart rate is still too fast. I am seeing the endocrinologist again tomorrow but he is completely useless. I know he will do nothing. Even though he is unable to make me feel better he keeps on discharging me so that I have to go through my GP again and wait ages for another appointment. I feel so ill that I am going to kill myself if he does nothing to help me again.
Insist with your GP on a second opinion. Tell him/her exactly how you feel. As for your other question, yes one can have both, it is because of fluctuations.
sevrin46

Postby eochaidh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:04 pm

You need professional advise.
eochaidh

Postby jedidiah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Firstly, you need to find a new doctor that will help you and that specializes in thyroid cancer. Ending your life isn't the answer! Your TSH is likely still suppressed, but it probably doesn't have to be as suppressed as it is since you are 9 years out. Hyper and hypo symptoms can mimic one another, but it sounds like you are all hyper. You can get exhausted very easily when on too much medication (think of your body as a car engine that is speeding while normal people are driving the speed limit, so you run out of gas/ energy much faster). You need to be telling your doctors how miserable they are making your life! If they are any good, they should work with you to get a better balance.

Please contact http://thyca.org and they can help you find a great endocrinologist who will help you!
jedidiah

Return to Thyroid Cancer