Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can smoking weed cause any health problems?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby rae4 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:21 pm

Like cancer, migranes, blackouts, etc?
rae4

Postby clement » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Smoking anything damages your lungs and can cause lung cancer. But I'll tell you that it doesn't have the chemicals in it as cigarettes do
clement

Postby fagin » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Bob Marley died at 40 riddled with cancer, because one "spliff" has the same amount of carbon monoxide as 20 ordinary tobacco cigarettes.
fagin

Postby montae » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Smoking seeds and stems can give you a killer migrain,but it goes away after you take a nap or sleep. As long as your weed is clean and you don't let it get in the way of your everyday life, you should be fine. But don't become all about weed, don't go stoner status to the point where where your too into weed to get anything else done. Just limit yourself.
montae

Postby vogel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:56 pm

One man of my acquaintance smoked twenty cigarettes per day and we could see his health was suffering because of it. We begged him to give up and he did - for a week - before smoking again. Three weeks later he was dead - from throat cancer.
Smoking cigarettes or weed is a dangerous habit. Tobacco smoke contains over 1000 carcinogenic chemicals. Weed also has dangerous chemicals in its smoke.
Smoking any material is unnatural as your lungs were not designed to handle it.
Smoking can cause lung cancer, and the symptoms of that are a persistent cough that lasts for more than three weeks; coughing up blood; and breathlessness, more than is normal for the activity.
It can also cause cancer of the mouth, which can be so severe a jaw rebuild is necessary, and throat cancer, which can destroy your larynx.
Don't do it. It risks cancer. You will be healthier and wealthier by avoiding this disgusting and unsocial habit.
vogel

Postby amadeo40 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 pm

Bob Marley died of melanoma, which is not associated with smoking marijuana. Marijuana can cause neurological problems in women who smoke weed while they're pregnant. It can cause short-term depression and psychosis (it put a friend of mine in the hospital when he had a psychotic episode after smoking weed with friends) and delayed reaction times (bad news if you're driving home after smoking). There's also a long-observed connection between marijuana use and schizophrenia. Schizophrenia tends to develop several years earlier than normal in teenage boys who are heavy marijuana users. Are schizophrenics more attracted to the effects of weed and more likely to be heavier users even if their schizophrenia hasn't emerged yet? Or does the marijuana play a role in the development of their schizophrenia? Researchers haven't figured it out yet.
amadeo40

Postby addis94 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:05 pm

Well it all depends who you listen to.
I'll tell you the absolute worst I've heard, some from half-assed medical studies.

SHORT TERM
* WHITE OUTS - I don't really see this as a health problem, but you mentioned blackouts in your question. It only happens when you smoke WAAYY too much for you to handle, kinda like passing out drunk
* NAUSEA - first time, quite a few people say they feel ill, or are physically sick. This is a lot more common if you're drinking alcohol as well as smoking weed. Remember kids, when mixing weed and alcohol, take half measures of both!

LONG TERM PHYSICAL
* CANCER (if you're smoking with tobacco) - If you roll a joint, or mix with tobacco, then the risk of cancer is still there. Weed itself doesn't show any evidence of causing cancer. Smoking with a vape is the healthiest way. (Vapourisor, bit expensive for all the kiddies, but a good investment if you're a proper stoner)
* BRONCHITIS / BAD COUGHS (smokers coughs) - You ARE burning something and inhaling the fumes, it's bound to irritate your bronchial tubes (things in your lungs that produce mucus). This means that you MAY get bronchitis, which is a ***** of an illness - basically makes you cough up A LOT of phloem. This is why you often see smokers spit.

* There's an old stoner rumour going 'round that if you eat the stems of weed you become infertile - it's utter crap and doesn't even make sense. Though I wouldn't suggest eating stems of weed anyway, you won't get anything from it. There are actual things you can do with the stems (make reject hash, for example, but thats a bit of a pain. If you stick a lot of them in vodka, and leave it to chill for a couple weeks, it adds a great kick to the drink).

LONG TERM MENTAL - These aren't necessarily true, but there is some evidence. If you want to know more about the psychological affects of marijuana, google it.

* SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS - not much I can say about this one
* PARANOIA - anybody who watches Jeremy Kyle knows this, "THE TOP SIDE EFFECT OF CANNABIS USAGE IS PARANOIA YOU COUNCIL HOUSE SCUUUMM".
* SLOWING OF REACTION TIMES - My science teacher told me this one many moons ago. This was a long time ago and I've never googled it too see if it's true, but he told me that marijuana works by making your body produce excess serotonin. Serotonin is used by synapses, the things that send electrical pulses all round your body, they control how fast your reactions are. e.g. say you put your hand in a fire, they dictate how long it'd take for an impulse saying "AH TAKE ME OUT" from your hand to your brain. Anyway, Mr Gilbert said to me that excess serotonin means that the synapses get somewhat "clogged" meaning that it takes more effort for them to work, therefore it takes longer
* SCHIZOPHRENIA - NOT PROPERLY PROVEN. I think there was one medical study looking into the minds of long term marijuana users and it showed a mild correlation between long term marijuana usage and schizophrenia. But Mr Gilbert wasn't a totally useless teacher, he also taught me that correlation does not mean causation, it could be something else entirely.

LESSENING THE RISKS
You can say you're asking for "research" but you're really weighing up the pros and cons of accepting the spaced-out-kid-down-the-road's invitation of going into his shed and getting high. I say go for it; I believe kids these days would say "YOLO" to this situation.
* DONT OVERDO IT - the spaced out kid has a higher tolerance than you, don't try to keep up with him to be "cool". You'll end up doing the opposite when you pass out in a puddle of your own vomit.
* FOR GOD'S TAKE DON'T USE TRAIN TICKETS AS ROACH - the ink on train tickets is HIGHLY HIGHLY carcinogenic and its a pointless risk.
* WHERE POSSIBLE, USE A BONG/VAPE - Far healthier.
* DON'T END UP SMOKING £100 A DAY - chances are, you'll go a bit weird in the head
addis94

Return to Cancer Prevention