Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can my dog breed with a dog that only has one testicle?

Discuss Prostate Cancer

Postby igon86 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:52 am

I was planning on breeding my 4year old bichon frise with a 1 and half year old bichon but he only has one testicle. The owner has spoken with the vets and they said he should wait till he is two to undergo an operation before it becomes cancerous but could there be a chance that the pups will have this too?
igon86

Postby aghamore61 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 am

As far as the male goes, that dog is cryptorchid. He has two testicles, but only one has dropped. I can't imagine what idiot vet he goes to, that says they should wait to neuter him. If both testicles have not dropped by 6 months of age, the dog is considered cryptorchid and needs to be neutered asap. A cryptorchid dog is about 14 times more likely to develop testicular cancer, and it IS genetic. The male offspring will very likely be cryptorchid as well. He should have been neutered a year ago.

Please spay your dog. If she isn't show quality, and has been tested to make sure she doesn't carry genes for certain diseases prevalent in her breed, she shouldn't be bred. Millions of dogs are killed every year in shelters due to overpopulation, so please don't add to the problem.
aghamore61

Postby arend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:12 am

It certainly is a genetic condition, its called Cryptorchidism. Often its not that the other testicle doesnt exist, but that it hasn't descended into the scrotum (where the teste's hang under the dog) and is instead inside his abdomen. The surgery that the vets are talking about will probably be where they go into the abdomen and find the wayward teste and remove it, at the same time it would be recomended to castrate him and remove the one that has descended.

It certainly isnt recommended to breed from him as the puppies could suffer the same fate and there is no way to tell before hand.
arend

Postby hannraoi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:17 am

The testicle being cancerous is the least of your worries.

WHY would you breed your dog? They're both likely incredibly badly bred, as apparent by the male dogs condition alone.... We simply do NOT need more pet quality dogs. Period. Have you even been to a shelter lately? If so, all those dogs living miserably in cages are due to idiots like you carelessly breeding their dogs. Sorry to be blunt, but the truth hurts.

Dogs are only worth breeding if they have all the necessary health tests done, such as OFA, have titles in a certain work or show, have had a temperament test, and come from a long line of WELL BRED DOGS. You also clearly know nothing, so even if your dog was breeding material, which it's not, you should not be involved in breeding dogs at all.

Be responsible and spay your damn dog, and tell your friend to neuter theirs as well.

Some peoples stupidity truly astound me.
hannraoi

Postby chua » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 am

NO....... fix your b*tch & this male not only needs a new vet, but to be altered as well.
If your b*tch has never been bred, she's too old to start now. She also doesn't need to be having pups with a male that will pass on said genetic fault.

The idea of you even considering this is alarming! One of the biggest reasons a reputable breeder even breeds their dogs is to "improve" said breed....... this post is clearly for $$.
chua

Postby frang44 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:28 am

NO....... fix your b*tch & this male not only needs a new vet, but to be altered as well.
If your b*tch has never been bred, she's too old to start now. She also doesn't need to be having pups with a male that will pass on said genetic fault.

The idea of you even considering this is alarming! One of the biggest reasons a reputable breeder even breeds their dogs is to "improve" said breed....... this post is clearly for $$.
It is irresponsible in the extreme to breed from a dog with a known serious fault and yes there is a good chance of this fault being carried forward in the pups and their pups ad infinitum. This is the sort of thing that gives back yard breeders such a bad name, if it has 4 legs and is breathing they will breed from it irrespective of what faults it may have.
frang44

Postby teyo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 am

Why would you want to breed to a dog with a KNOWN genetic defect? True breeders breed to get the best genes possible into their pups, not keep breeding defects into them.

Before breeding a dog you should have the genetic testing done on yours to be sure she is not passing on defective genes. She should also win titles/conformations to be sure she is up to breed standards.

Before breeding, please, take a tour of your local shelters, humane societies and pounds. Talk to the staff about what overbreeding does. Talk to the staff about how many healthy, adoptable pets are euthanized every year because of too many dogs born, not enough homes. Talk to them about how many dogs/pups are brought into their facilities because of backyard breeding. There are 3 to 4 million reasons you should not be breeding and all of them die in shelters

Why do you want to breed a dog?
Are you aware there are 15 dogs born for every one human?
http://www.cchumane.org/snap.htm
Are you aware there are millions of dogs killed every year because of not enough homes?
http://www.jour.unr.edu/outpost/voices/voi.valdyke.animal.html
Are you aware that only 1 dog in 10 gets a permanent home? www.safehavenforcats.com/main.htm
Are you aware that one female and her offspring can produce 67,000 dogs in just six years?
http://www.kitsaphumane.org/lowcostfix.php
That coupled with the health benefits of spay/neuter WHY would you breed your dog? www.sniksnak.com/benefits.html
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/myths_and_facts_about_spaying_and_neutering.html
teyo

Postby eadric » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 am

I don't know what vet they went to but most vets wouldn't recommend waiting till the dog is two before removing both testicles as there is always a chance of the retained one turning cancerous at anytime.
eadric

Postby stem » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am

Are you asking whether you can, or whether you should?

The answer I give will be different depending which question you're asking.
stem

Postby alfredo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:59 am

Leave the dog breeding to the professionals - you do not know what you are doing.
alfredo

Next

Return to Prostate Cancer