Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can I Get Asbestosis From Asbestos Shingles?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Cinneidigh » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:04 am

I've lived in a rental house for 10 years that has asbestos shingles and asbestos insulation on the heater pipe.
I had breathing problems since 2002 and after getting health insurance in 05 found out i have asthma.
Can this be related to my home environment? It's a very old (1920) house that the landlord refuses to renovate "because he keeps my rent low".
Well he has no choice because of rent control laws here, but I do like the row rent for the location.
Problem is I'm concerned it's killing me.
I wish he would renovate.

Last year I had a terrible mold problem that he also refused to do anything about.
I had to clean myself.
What recourses do I have?
Cinneidigh

Postby Tearly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:05 am

I've lived in a rental house for 10 years that has asbestos shingles and asbestos insulation on the heater pipe.
I had breathing problems since 2002 and after getting health insurance in 05 found out i have asthma.
Can this be related to my home environment? It's a very old (1920) house that the landlord refuses to renovate "because he keeps my rent low".
Well he has no choice because of rent control laws here, but I do like the row rent for the location.
Problem is I'm concerned it's killing me.
I wish he would renovate.

Last year I had a terrible mold problem that he also refused to do anything about.
I had to clean myself.
What recourses do I have?
Tearly

Postby Gottfried » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

My suggestion is trying to obsord as much information as you can before making up your mind,here is a good one.http://health-insurance.tips4free.info/health-insurance-for-free.htm
Gottfried

Postby lyn93 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:09 am

You'd have to get it checked! Symptoms of mesothelioma may include, but are not limited to respiratory distress, a lasting cough, pneumonia, low energy levels and night-time sweating. The ?generalness? of asbestos cancer symptoms may lead to a delay in diagnosis of malignant mesothelioma.Symptoms of mesothelioma may not appear until 30 to 50 years after asbestos exposure - when least expected. Those affected often do not receive the proper mesothelioma diagnosis until the cancer is far advanced. Shortness of breath, pain in the chest, shoulder blades or lower back and weight loss, may also be indicative symptoms of mesothelioma.
lyn93

Postby Aingeni » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:13 am

There is no way to know for sure, but it couldn't help the situation. Asbestosis occurs only when you breath in asbestos, so it would have to come from broken pieces of shingles or insulation that release tiny particles into the air. This could possibly occur through a ventilation system. I would look into the regulations in your area because usually landlords are responsible for those things and you could consider taking him to court. It might help with medical costs.
Aingeni

Postby Kirwyn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:17 am

i don't know about the recourses but i would bet a glazed honey roasted almond that your enviornment had something to do with it. the only way asbestos can not be dangerous is if it is in capsulated form. he should have to fix and clean your place.. he is the landlord and under law needs to do it.
Kirwyn

Return to Mesothelioma Forum