Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Research – Double Mastectomy Not Improving Survival Rates

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can apple seeds cure from cancer?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby manolo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:17 am

I read an article http://naturalroute.com/content/cancer/fruitseeds_cancer.html about apple seeds and cancer. Can you please read it? I want to know if I ate like 2-3 seeds a day will I damage my body? Because cyanide can damage brain cells, etc. And if you're a doctor that prefers therapies over plant remedies because it is more profitable I am not a patient, I just want to know the fact about it, and thanks for your answer.
manolo

Postby menzies » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:24 am

Do you realize that many of the Chemo drugs, especially the Alkalyting agents are made from plants..

If you believe that apple seeds will cure you or keep you from getting cancer, give it a shot, as it will not.

Depending on the type of apples you eat, yeh, your going to ingest cyanide, if you take enough, you will probably cause some damage somewhere or kill yourself....probably fry your brain too !!
menzies

Postby marc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am

Well - The article you have read really isn´t an endorsement of apple seed. It is an endorsement of apricot seeds, which is claimed to contain something wrongfully called vitamin B17.

It is not a vitamin. Amygdalin/laetrile was claimed to be a vitamin by chemist Ernst T. Krebs in the hope that if classified as a nutritional supplement it would escape the federal legislation regarding the marketing of drugs. He could also capitalize on the public fad for vitamins at that time. Since the early 1950s, a modified form of amygdalin has been promoted under the names laetrile and “Vitamin B17? as a cancer cure.

It has been tested to see if it really is effective as a cancer treatment. And the results were disappointing. Here is a review from 2007 based on 36 clinical studies on the effect of laetrile on cancer in patients: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17106659?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=2

None of these studies proved the effectiveness of laetrile.

Laetrile contains cyanide, which is a type of poison. So the side effects of laetrile are the same as those of cyanide. These include

* Sickness
* Headache
* Dizziness
* Liver damage
* A lack of oxygen to the body tissues
* A drop in blood pressure
* Drooping eyelids
* Fever
* Nerve damage, causing loss of balance and difficulty walking
* Confusion, coma and eventually death

It is estimated that eating approximately 50 to 60 apricot kernels, or 50g of laetrile, can cause death.

The lack of evidence and the risk of serious side effects are more than good reasons to ban its use as cancer treatment.

Here is more on the Laetrile myth: http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-cancer/treatment/complementary-alternative/therapies/laetrile
marc

Postby amikam » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 am

Do not eat cyanide seeds. The cumulative amount could be harmful. Don't believe every natural remedy you read. If there has ben a controlled study and a paper accepted in the journals of medicine then maybe, but don't go there just because they say it will work. If apple seeds could prevent cancer it would have been on the evening news. The discovery of the century
amikam

Return to Cancer Prevention