Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can anyone tell me if this colonoscopy report means that all the polyps were removed?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Can anyone tell me if this colonoscopy report means that all the polyps were removed?

Postby rook83 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:53 pm

This is the findings on the colonoscopy report: On retroflexed view, grade 1 hemorrhoids were found in the rectum. Two broad- based polyps, measuring between 5 and 10 mm in size, were found in the transverse colon and hepatic flexure. All polyps were completely removed by hot biopsy polypectomy. A single flat polyp, meansuring between 10 and 20 mm in size, was found in the splenic flexure and descending colon. The polyp was partially removed by hot biopsy polypectomy. The polyp was retrieved. The site was marked with tattoo(india ink). The polyp in question is the one that was the flat one that was partially removed. Also, the Pathologic interpretation says: That colon, hepatic flexure, polyp: tubular adenoma with no significant dysplasia.
Is there any chance that these polyps are cancerous? Any information you can give me I would appreciate it. This is my father's report he is 80 years old and has a history with hurthle cell cancer. Thanks
rook83

Postby beornham » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:55 pm

If that flat polyp were cancerous the doctor would have said so. It's not from this report, "no significant dysplasia". Your dad's colon is fine.
beornham

Postby benjaman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

"This is my father's report he is 80 years old and has a history with hurthle cell cancer".

Already a cancer patient.

Dysplasia (from ancient Greek ???- dys-, "difficulty" + ?????? plasis, "formation") is a term used in pathology to refer to an abnormality of development.[1] This generally consists of an expansion of immature cells, with a corresponding decrease in the number and location of mature cells. Dysplasia is often indicative of an early neoplastic process. The term dysplasia is typically used when the cellular abnormality is restricted to the originating tissue, as in the case of an early, in-situ neoplasm.

Dysplasia, in which cell maturation and differentiation are delayed, can be contrasted with metaplasia, in which cells of one mature, differentiated type are replaced by cells of another mature, differentiated type.

The terms hip dysplasia and fibrous dysplasia also refer to abnormal development, but at a more macroscopic level.
Yes, it should have been malignancy.
benjaman

Postby cuchulain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:08 pm

Think of the colon as being shaped sort of like a bridge. Two polyps were found on the transverse colon (the top of the bridge) and were completely removed. A third polyp was found in the descending colon (the part of the bridge that descends toward the rectum) and was partially removed. That polyp was found to be an adenoma, a benign tumor, with no significant dysplasia (abnormal cell changes that could become cancerous). It sounds like he's okay, but you should go back to his surgeon for an explanation of the results. Call the surgeon's office and ask to speak to his nurse for an explanation of the colonoscopy results.
cuchulain

Postby sagar » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 pm

You answered your own question. You know there were not all removed.
The report clearly sates they are not cancerous.
I am sure the doctor’s recommendations include your father have a surgical consult.
You should really go on doctors appointments with him if you are going to have questions afterward.
sagar

Postby caine » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm

You answered your own question. You know there were not all removed.
The report clearly sates they are not cancerous.
I am sure the doctor’s recommendations include your father have a surgical consult.
You should really go on doctors appointments with him if you are going to have questions afterward.
The pathology report is what matters: it states that it was adenoma with no significant dysplasia. That means not cancer but a good idea for him to get regular colonoscopy checks to look for other polyps in the future and get them checked in the lab too.
caine

Return to Cancer Prevention