Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can a shot (vaccination) cause a lump above my dog's shoulder?

Cancer Prevention discussion, cancer prevention diets, environmental causes of Cancer and more.

Postby gillian66 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:33 am

I have a year and a half old Chihuahua. Last week he had his annual vaccinations. Today I noticed a small lump (about the size of a marble) above his right shoulder. It's firm and attached underneath. I tried calling the vet, but their office is closed today so I will call tomorrow. I am trying not to worry too much yet, but my concern is that it could be Cancer.

Advice!?!
gillian66

Postby stille90 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:35 am

If that's where the dog got its vacciantion, yes it CAN cause a lump. Shots in the shoulder are NOT recommended, regarless of type. There are too many nerve endings there & sarcomas can occur by the shot being given there. Most up-to-date vets, KNOW/perfer to give it in the hind-leg SKIRT of the dog or the rear leg muscle.
stille90

Postby jaedon84 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:38 am

yes it can cause a lump at the injection site. they are usually given in the right hip (rabies) and in a shoulder (which one depends on what clinic or vaccine). it will usually go down in a few days. you may have some hair loss or localized pain right there. it should be self limiting and nothing to worry about. in a rare few, they will keep a small lump there forever, but nothing to worry about.

there is a slight chance of an injecton site becoming cancerous. but that would be quite a while after vaccines (months to years) and usually from rabies or feline leukemia. they will be fast growing. this is very rare and usually in dogs 5yrs and older. a way to minimize this risk is to use a 3 year vaccines when possible and recommended by your vet.
jaedon84

Postby myung-dae » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:45 am

If it is exactly where the vaccination was given then this is not unusual at all, however, it doesn't sound as if it is quite in the right place for that but I bet it is.

Of course you are concerned that it is cancer as we all would, but the chances are small and it really is likely to be a vaccination reaction.
myung-dae

Postby raibeart » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am

It is probably due to the vaccination. This is a common reaction. It probably feels sore, so be careful of it. If he still has it tomorrow, call your vet and ask what to do. he might need a little antihistamine, and you *should* notify the vet if a pet has a reaction to a vaccine.
raibeart

Postby burhtun » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 am

Yes it can, sometimes the vet does not rub down the vaccine enough after the injection, so it just sits there until absorbed, It can sometimes cause problems, Contact the vet's office on Monday and inquire on this. Just to be on the safe side.
burhtun

Postby kosmas78 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:03 am

Yes it can, sometimes the vet does not rub down the vaccine enough after the injection, so it just sits there until absorbed, It can sometimes cause problems, Contact the vet's office on Monday and inquire on this. Just to be on the safe side.
My bull terrier got that also. We put a cold pack on it and it went down.
kosmas78

Return to Cancer Prevention