Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: New Biomarker Discovered for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can a lot of spinach cause black stools? or is it stomach ulcer?

Talk about Stomach Cancer diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby peverell » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:01 pm

on thursday and friday i had a lot of spinach for lunch and dinner with very little rice and my poop came out black. yesterday i avoided eating spinach and my poop was a little bit black at first and then came out dark brown. i do have a lot of gas and bloating as i might be starting my periods soon ( and i have a lot of gas whenever i PMS). but other than that i don't really have stomach pain or burning sensation in my tummy.
is it just spinach that caused black stool? i love eating spinach and i eat it frequently...
peverell

Postby dakarai37 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Spinach is rich in iron, and iron causes your stool to be black. Keep monitoring your bowel movements. If you avoid iron (whether in food or vitamin form) and your stool is still black after a few days, consult a doctor. Otherwise, I think it's just the spinach which is, of course, good for you, and being a woman, having a lot of iron in your diet is a good thing. :)
dakarai37

Postby addis94 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes it can, as it contains a fair bit of iron, which in turn can cause black stools. Nothing to worry about.
addis94

Return to Stomach Cancer