Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can a gynecological exam be done under anesthesia?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby taveon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:03 am

I'm curious as to whether this would be possible. I was sexually abused aged 15. I'm 21 now and have ignored several letters asking me to make an appointment for one of these examinations. I've never even had one before, but I know exactly how it's carried out. I'm still a virgin, but a couple of people have told me to stop being silly and go through with it, in case I might have cervical cancer and I wouldn't know it. But I burst into tears even just thinking about going through such a personal exam. And it doesn't help either that I have Asperger's Syndrome (an autistic spectrum disorder), which only makes me even more nervous. I haven't been in any relationships since I was abused, because I don't want to feel that way again and I feel uncomfortable even undressing in front of the same sex. I feel as though I wouldn't mind having it done if I was unconscious, but I'm unsure if that would be possible where I live (Northern Ireland, UK). Under the circumstances, would it be possible to carry out a gynecological examination under anesthetic? Additional information which makes me so desperate to seek answers; I had an ultrasound scan a while ago to test for Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome, but the results were inconclusive. So, I would have to have a gynecological exam to get a firm diagnosis. But I already told doctors that I couldn't cope with it. Please help me if you can. It's really depressing me. =o[
taveon

Postby blayke » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:10 am

I doubt that the doctors would agree to give you anesthesia for an exam like this one. Doctors usually only use anesthesia when strictly necessary and that's usually for more complicated or risky procedures than a gynecological exam.

It doesn't hurt to explain your situation though and ask the doctors what they can do to help you. Even if they can't use anesthesia, they will surely have other ways to help you get through the exam. They can almost certainly give you some medication that will help you calm down for the exam, even though you'll stay conscious.

Gynecologists regularly deal with victims of sexual abuse and know how to be gentle and supportive. You might also feel a bit better with a female gynecologist than a male and if you explain your situation to her she can be extra gentle and considerate and she can try to get it over with quickly. Going to a small private clinic might help too, as it will likely be more calm and quiet and you might feel more in private there than at a hospital or a large, busy clinic. You could maybe ask a good friend or your mother or sister to go with you to the clinic for support and wait for you in the waiting room during the exam. That might help you deal with your nervousness and stress.

The actual exam usually only takes around 2-3 minutes and you only have to be half naked and only during the actual exam. The rest of the time you can keep your clothes on.

This is how an appointment with a gynecologist usually goes: When you enter the room, you first sit down by the desk and are interviewed by the gynecologist. After that you need to take off your pants and panties and lie on the bench with legs spread. The actual exam usually only takes a couple of minutes and then you can get dressed again and go to sit by the desk again and the doctor explains whether everything seems okay or whether there seem to be any issues and when the test results for cervical cancer test will be back.

Gynecological exams are usually not pleasant or easy for any female and everyone is nervous about it, especially the first time. Past sexual abuse certainly doesn't make it any easier, but you can get through this. The gynecologist will do what she can to make it as easy as possible for you.

Good luck!
blayke

Postby jackson » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:11 am

I don't think they would do an exam under anesthesia.
The exam itself is no longer then 5-7 minutes long...
jackson

Postby amadeo40 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:21 am

I don't think they do that. You can always ask for a female doctor, then explain your situation...I'm sure they'd be understanding and work with you!
amadeo40

Postby richardgere69 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:26 am

I doubt they could do that because it's too much for a simple exam.

I bet you could ask for some Valium to take before your exam. That can help.
richardgere69

Postby feltin98 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:36 am

Wont know until you ask
feltin98

Postby amiel24 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:43 am

Yes, we sometimes do that. The tough part is going to be getting your insurance company to agree to pay for it.

You need to find a gynecologist that understands the situation and will agree to work on getting the anesthesia covered.

It's called an EUA: Exam Under Anesthesia. We do it all the time for children and mentally handicapped adults, and in extreme situations where an exam can cause undue psychological stress.

Good luck, sweetie.
amiel24

Postby custenhin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:47 am

Sorry to hear that and that you had to go through a situation like that. I agree with tickles and the others.

1) ask for a female
2) Explain the situation ( dont be embarassed they have heard and seen it all)
3) ask for a valium to help you calm down
4) its over rather quickly and its very professional, so you might not feel as jittery
custenhin

Return to Ovarian Cancer