Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Can Aspirin Reduce Pancreatic Cancer Risk?

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can a brain tumor be removed without surgery?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby brant » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 am

I'm 15, and I recently found out that I have a brain tumor.
Can it be removed without surgery?
Will they shave off all my hair?
Please help :( x
brant

Postby johan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:57 am

Well I'm sorry to hear the news about your tumor. Tumors in the brain cannot be outright removed without surgery, however the most common methods of treating tumors of the brain without surgical procedure is through radiation therapy or chemo. If your tumor is benign or cancerous, the methods may differ, and you must also factor in the position of the tumor in the brain (could it cause harm to vital structures?). Make sure to ask your oncologist or physician what methods they are considering and if you have options. Ideally, a little stay with radiation and some pills could shrink the growth. However if your doctor suggests that it must be removed, then hair shouldn't be on the top of your concern list. Your hair will probably be shaved, but it grows back. Brain cells that are destroyed by a tumor wont. Lets hope for the radiation and pills, though.
johan

Return to Brain Tumors