Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: NFL Continues to Raise Money for Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Can a 17 year old male get breast cancer?

Discuss Breast Cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer in the world today.

Postby hekli » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Chances are that one can, I guess the question really is has this ever happened before?

I'm 17 and have had this lumpy sort of thing under my breast for the best part of a year now, it feels uncomfortable and has increased the size of my breast.

I've been to the doctor and he keeps telling me it's "insert term here" and occurs in 40% of teenage boys, I've never met anyone in my life with it.

Under my left armpit (lump is in my left breast) feels strange sometimes as does down the left side of my back.

My heartbeat feels inconsistent like high tempo then low tempo even though I'm just sitting down on the computer or xbox or whatever, fully relaxed.

I got a blood test done on Wednesday for an overactive thyroid, will they be able to / will they bother to detect are there any other things wrong with me like cancer etc.

I had 13 out of 15 symptoms of cancer but I understand how rare it is in guys my age so I'm not getting insanely worried but it's always in the back of my mind.

Any comments from doctors / people that have experienced this kind of situation or witnessed it would be welcomed :)

No self-proclaimed doctors please!
hekli

Postby lockwood98 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:05 pm

You can.. even though its mostly found in women, men can get it to. The heartbeat thing could be something else though
lockwood98

Postby amiel24 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Yes, anyone can get breast cancer.

Did your doctor say that it was fibrocystic condition? Does that sound familiar? If so, I have it and yes, it does seem like cancer but it is not. Fibrocystic condition is very common (not sure about men, but about 60% of women have it) and it is caused by drinking caffeine. It is harmless, but you cannot determine whether or not it is cancer without testing, so if you have it, you have to stop drinking all caffeine. It takes a few months to go away.

I hope that's all it is! Good luck!
amiel24

Postby chonen » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Yes, even a guy can get Cancer in the chest area.

Even though it's very unlikely: http://www.imaginis.com/breast-health/breast-cancer-in-men-2
chonen

Postby pfesssley2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Its extremely rare, but yes, men can get breast cancer. I suggest seeing anther doctor if you're that concerned about it.
pfesssley2

Return to Breast Cancer