Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Calcification In Jaw

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Calcification In Jaw

Postby Sim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:16 pm

I am in my early 30's and still had a baby tooth which broke late last year. My dentist's office had me see an oral surgeon who extracted the broken tooth and put in a screw which my dentist is now getting a crown for. In looking at my x-rays, the oral surgeon mentioned some spotting along the bottom of my jaw, asked if I had any pain, and said that it was more typical in African Americans and that I was the first Caucasian he had seen it in. He said to let him know if I had any pain in the future or if future x-rays had more of the spotting. He did not explain anything else or seem overly concerned about it.

Yesterday I saw my dentist for some impressions, and he saw the x-rays the oral surgeon had taken and noticed the spotting and I heard him call in some colleagues to ask their opinion.  He asked me if the oral surgeon had mentioned it(apparently he made no note of it in my chart).  I let him know about the conversation the oral surgeon had with me and told him I didn't know what it meant or what it was. He told me that it was calcification in my jaw, but would not elaborate.  He seemed slightly concerned, but wouldn't give me any more information other than that's something you typically see an oral surgeon for.  

As I cannot get a straight answer on what this is or what it may mean, I'm considering getting a second opinion, but need to know exactly what it is I'm getting a second opinion on.  What is calcification in the jawbone and why would the dentist be concerned? Does it mean a tumor/cancer is possible? If I seek a second opinion, what questions do I need to ask?

Thanks!
Sim

Calcification In Jaw

Postby Rand » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:43 am

Hello Heather,

It is very unlikely to be cancer so just relax for now. I have not seen your Xray nor seen you but can assure you that there are plenty of calcifications in jaw bones in caucasian patients with no implications in terms of treatment since most of them are left alone.

Apparently, your oral surgeon was not concerned and must have done  a thorough exam including palpation of the floor of the mouth, lymph nodes, salivary glands etc...Also a CT scan or cone beam CT can be easily done and will show with great precision the extent of the calcification which can be followed over time. Most of them are idiopathic(unknown origin) and are left untreated since treatment would be too aggressive and unwarranted.

I would try to get another board certified oral surgeon who has a Cone beam CT in his office to rule out any kind of pathology.

All the best,

Chawket MANNAI,DDS,Ph.D
Rand

Return to Bone Cancer