Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Breast Examination/normal Question?

Pancreatic Cancer Discussions

Postby Telford » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:14 pm

I wanted to know what they should really feel like. I'm worried because I have had a lump for years now (I'm 19) in my right not left. It is hard and movable, I can bring it to the edge of my skin and poke at it and it is solid and about the size of a golf ball (maybe slightly bigger). Is this normal in anyway? It is not painful. I don't have an history as far as I know, but my uncle died of pancreatic cancer. I'm on the pill and have been for about 5 or 6 years for menstrual reasons.

I know most people's advice will be to go to the doctors but I would say the chances of me doing that are 1/100. I'm terrified of them, took me 3 years to go ask for heartburn tablets.
Telford

Postby Clayburn » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:17 pm

If it is moveable then it is unlikely to be cancer.

In your late teens the risk of breast cancer is aroung 1 in 1 million.

You say this has been there for years, breast cancer would have killed you by now if that is what it was.

Sounds like this is either part of the normal breast structure for you or a benign lump.
The only way to know is to see a Dr or nurse practitioner.
Perhaps you could get it checked next time you see someone for your birth control?

Add: Nurse practitioners can have further qualifications.
The one at our local health centre is qualified to do Pap smears and breast examinations as well as her basic qualifications.
You won't know unless you ask.
Clayburn

Postby Dyllan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 pm

You can try seeing a GP Nurse if you want to, only to confirm what you want to know....Hopefully they will be able to give you an answer...or you can see a female gynecologist.
Dyllan

Postby Lawly » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:25 pm

You really need to see a doctor.
What they can do, is examine you and show you how to do it properly and what sort of things to look for.
What you are probably feeling is normal breast tissue, but you won't know unless you get checked.
Another alternative is to get your mother to check you.
She is more likely to know if there is something which needs further investigation as she should be used to checking herself.
She can then go with you.

Surely you visit the doctor to get the pill prescribed? Next time you go, ask to see a nurse.
Lawly

Postby Rockford » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 pm

just ask your doctor to give an exam. They won't mind to show you what to do.
Rockford

Return to Pancreatic Cancer