Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: United Kingdom Seeing Increase in Skin Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Bowel Obstruction or Hiatal Hernia?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby stephanos6 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:53 pm

For the past 2 weeks I've had sharp burning pain and pressure in the center of my abdomen just below my ribs. I've never had acid reflux this bad. Even if I drink a few sips of water, I feel like I've eaten 3 christmas dinners. I have not had a bowel movement in 9 days. My chest has started hurting also. Feels like food getting stuck in back of throat. Also a bruise type feeling in abdomen. Went to ER last Friday and had an xray. My white cells were a little elevated. Xray showed that lower colon was empty, but there was stool in my ascending and transverse colon. Exactly where it hurts. Doc gave prescription for Prilosec and stool softeners. I've been taking Miralax also. I've also gave myself 3 enemas. No results. Just mucus. Went to ER again Tuesday night. Had a CT scan. Doc never came back in and told me what the scan showed or about my labwork. Or even about the medicines he prescribed. Some of which I already had from last Friday. RN just walked in and said I was ready to go. So I have no clue. I'm pretty sure the stool is still in the same spot. I had adhesions removed from that area in April during my appendectomy. I'm thinking they've come back. I also have symptoms of a hiatal hernia. It's just getting worse. GI doc can't see me for 2 weeks. What do I do? I'm scared to death of it possibly being cancer or it rupturing my colon. I can't sleep at night for it hurting so bad. Nothing has worked to make it better. Anybody have any advice? By the way I'm a 31 yr old athletic female. Please help!
stephanos6

Postby coinneach92 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:55 pm

Wow, 9 days without a bowel movement!. You must have a lot of **** loaded inside you. In a way it sounds like your full of **** (no pun intended). I would go see a gastroenterologist if I were you.
coinneach92

Postby devlin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:05 pm

You absolutely should not wait 2 weeks in my opinion because I think you have pretty much diagnosed yourself on this one. It clearly sounds like a small bowel obstruction. (I'm not sure about the hiatal hernia though because you haven't really said much about that.) I am confused about why you just walked out of the hospital when the nurse told you you were good to go. You maybe should have pushed her for answers rather than just leaving. At this point if the meds you are on aren't working, you may need to have the obstruction cleared in a more direct way. Going 9 days without a BM though is not acceptable in my opinion. Find a doctor who will take you sooner or go to the ER again. I can't think of anything else that you could/should do besides that.
devlin

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials