Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Book, Or Series With Badass Main Character That Uses Magic. Sorta Like Harry Dresden?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Book, Or Series With Badass Main Character That Uses Magic. Sorta Like Harry Dresden?

Postby Elric » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm looking for fantasy books with magic that feature a badass main character (like Harry Dresden from "The Dresden Files") Please, Please have the main character be a MALE... not a woman. my reason for this is my old school librarian gave me a list of all the fantasy books she liked (long list) and Every Single One of them featured a Female lead, and seeing as how i checked them all out, and like most of them... my books as of recently have ALL had female leads. like "Poison Study" "Elemental Assassain" "Jane Yellowrock" and "Dark Days Series"

i Suggest any of these series to you looking for a strong willed Female lead and are each uniquely gifted.

in the end it all boils down to... i'm a Guy.. i want to read from a dude's perspective, and a badass dude wielding magic is what i'm looking for right now

sorry for the lengthy question/story/recommendation/whatever and if your reading this sentence I'd like the thank you for taking your time and reading the Entire thing.
Elric

Postby Eliot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:13 pm

very good question
Eliot

Postby weylin54 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Nightlife - Rob Thurman

?There are monsters among us. There always have been and there always will be. I?ve known that ever since I can remember, just like I?ve always known I was one?

?Well, half of one, anyway.?

Welcome to the Big Apple. There?s a troll under the Brooklyn Bridge, a boggle in Central Park, and a beautiful vampire in a penthouse on the Upper East Side?and that?s only the beginning. Of course, most humans are oblivious to the preternatural nightlife around them, but Cal Leandros is only half-human.

His father?s dark lineage is the stuff of nightmares?and he and his entire otherworldly race are after Cal. Why? Cal hasn?t exactly wanted to stick around long enough to find out.

He and his half-brother Niko have managed to stay a step ahead for three years, but now Cal?s dad has found them again. And Cal is about to learn why they want him, why they?ve always wanted him?for he is the key to unleashing their hell on earth. The fate of the human world will be decided in the fight of Cal?s life....

Hounded - Kevin Hearne

Atticus O?Sullivan, last of the Druids, lives peacefully in Arizona, running an occult bookshop and shape-shifting in his spare time to hunt with his Irish wolfhound. His neighbors and customers think that this handsome, tattooed Irish dude is about twenty-one years old?when in actuality, he?s twenty-one centuries old. Not to mention: He draws his power from the earth, possesses a sharp wit, and wields an even sharper magical sword known as Fragarach, the Answerer.

Unfortunately, a very angry Celtic god wants that sword, and he?s hounded Atticus for centuries. Now the determined deity has tracked him down, and Atticus will need all his power?plus the help of a seductive goddess of death, his vampire and werewolf team of attorneys, a sexy bartender possessed by a Hindu witch, and some good old-fashioned luck of the Irish?to kick some Celtic **** and deliver himself from evil.

Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy

Meet Skulduggery Pleasant

Ace Detective

Snappy Dresser

Razor?tongued Wit

Crackerjack Sorcerer

and

Walking, Talking,

Fire-throwing Skeleton

?as well as ally, protector, and mentor of Stephanie Edgley, a very unusual and darkly talented twelve-year-old.

These two alone must defeat an all-consuming ancient evil.

The end of the world?

Over his dead body.
weylin54

Postby Nyle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Magic Kingdom for Sale ? SOLD! is the first of Terry Brooks's Magic Kingdom of Landover novels. Written in 1986, it tells the story of how Ben Holiday, a talented but depressed Chicago trial lawyer, comes to be king of Landover, an otherworldly magical kingdom. The book was re-released as part of a Landover omnibus in 2009.

Apprentice Adept is a seven-book fantasy and science fiction novel series by Piers Anthony. The series takes place on Phaze and Proton, two worlds occupying the same space in two different dimensional planes. Phaze is a lush planet of magic, where Proton is a barren mining planet of science. As the series opens, each person born on Phaze and Proton has an alternate self living on the other world. But if a person on either world lacks a duplicate (for instance if a Proton citizen emigrated there from another planet, or a counterpart from the opposite frame died), he can cross to the other through an energy "curtain" that circumscribes each frame.

Incarnations of Immortality is the name of an eight-book fantasy series by Piers Anthony. The first seven books each focus on one of seven supernatural "offices" (Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Evil and Good) in a fictional reality and history parallel to ours, with the exception that society has advanced both magic and modern technology. The series covers the adventures and struggles of a group of humans, called "Incarnations", who hold these supernatural positions for a certain time.
Nyle

Postby Gorry » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:22 pm

The Nightside series by Simon R Green

The Laundry Files series by Charles Stross

The Felix Castor series by Mike Carey

The Sandman Slim series by Richard Kadrey

The Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin

American Gods, Neverwhere and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne

The Remy Chandler series by Thomas Sniegoski

The Monster Hunter series by Larry Correia
Gorry

Postby Ailbert » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Since you read the Dark Days series, you might try Jocelyn Drake's series The Asylum Tales series, currently two novels and two novelettes.
Very good and very reminiscent of Dresden.

wl
Ailbert

Postby lang » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Harry Dresden Characters
lang

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials