Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Bone Scan Results

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Bone Scan Results

Postby Cynerik » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Hello Michael,   I have a questions about the results of my 3 phase Bone Scan.

Could please tell me what all this means besides that my hip replacement is loose. My hip replacement bottom is 23 years old and the top was just done over 2 years ago.

Indication:  Hip pain. Right THA.

Comparison: Plain films 1/25/2012

Impression: Loosening of the femoral component of the right THA is suggested. Indeterminant uptake of the left superior public ramus should be correlated with the upcoming CT.

Findings: There is symmetric blood flow about both hips and proximal thighs. Blood pool imaging show relative photopenia at the site of the right THA. There is also mild photopenia in the left anterior pelvis superiorly which may be due to overlying artifact. The delayed images show diffusely increased uptake about the shaft of the femoral component of the THA. The appearance would be consistent with loosening. There is also slightly increased uptake about the acetabular component both medially and laterally. There is mild increased uptake of the superior left pubic ramus. This of uncertain significance. This could be correlated with the upcoming CT abdomen/pelvis scheduled for tomorrow.

CT scan

Indications: Ca Kidney NOS

Exam Ct scan of the Abdomen and Pelvis with IV contrast:

Findings No evidence of recurrent or metastatic disease.

Postoperative changes of partial right nephrectomy. No adenopathy. Right THA causes significant artifact in the low pelvis. What does uncertain significance mean? Does this meant the top part is coming loose too? Is this just a little loose or surgery loose? Thanks so much for your time.
Cynerik

Bone Scan Results

Postby Rickward » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:39 am

Hello Deb,

Regarding bone scan findings: increased uptake - means there is an area with higher than normal metabolic activity and blood flow to that area.  Photopenia means just the opposite.  So what the bone scan is suggesting is there is increased processes going on along the lower component which MAY present loosening. Re the top component(acetabular) there is only slight increase there. Bone scan can't really see the loosening, it can only see increased metabolism and blood flow to the area which in turn may suggest to doctors that there is inflammation in the area; and the most common cause of the inflammation around the prosthesis would be loosening of it, so it moves around just so slightly that it causes inflammation.  I can see how there is significant artifact from the prosthesis basically rendering the CT useless.  However, xray/play films are really good at looking for possible loosening. So, I would suggest that your doctors repeat xrays of your hip and look for it and compare with January to see if there is any interval change and also correlate with physical exam for instability and pain at the site.  Unfortunately, I can't comment based on the info on how loose it is or if it is loose at all. I would guess that if it wasn't glaring obvious from the xray in January then it is just a little loose if at all.

Uncertain significance - means that we see something on the exam but really don't feel strongly that it represents anything concerning. Superior pubic ramus could be also seen on xrays and if there is nothing there to explain the uptake, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Rickward

Bone Scan Results

Postby Gerhard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:56 pm

Hello Michael,   I have a questions about the results of my 3 phase Bone Scan.

Could please tell me what all this means besides that my hip replacement is loose. My hip replacement bottom is 23 years old and the top was just done over 2 years ago.

Indication:  Hip pain. Right THA.

Comparison: Plain films 1/25/2012

Impression: Loosening of the femoral component of the right THA is suggested. Indeterminant uptake of the left superior public ramus should be correlated with the upcoming CT.

Findings: There is symmetric blood flow about both hips and proximal thighs. Blood pool imaging show relative photopenia at the site of the right THA. There is also mild photopenia in the left anterior pelvis superiorly which may be due to overlying artifact. The delayed images show diffusely increased uptake about the shaft of the femoral component of the THA. The appearance would be consistent with loosening. There is also slightly increased uptake about the acetabular component both medially and laterally. There is mild increased uptake of the superior left pubic ramus. This of uncertain significance. This could be correlated with the upcoming CT abdomen/pelvis scheduled for tomorrow.

CT scan

Indications: Ca Kidney NOS

Exam Ct scan of the Abdomen and Pelvis with IV contrast:

Findings No evidence of recurrent or metastatic disease.

Postoperative changes of partial right nephrectomy. No adenopathy. Right THA causes significant artifact in the low pelvis. What does uncertain significance mean? Does this meant the top part is coming loose too? Is this just a little loose or surgery loose? Thanks so much for your time.
Gerhard

Return to Bone Cancer