Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Bone Growth In Head

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Bone Growth In Head

Postby Laine » Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Hello Doctor,

A small part of a bone is grown in my mom's head. It was there in her skull and can be felt if we touch it. Now in the last 5 months the bone lump that can be felt is visible on her head. We can literally see it. Doctors say it can operated upon and can be removed. Is it really a brain bone tumor. Is it dangerous for her health to remove it?

Regards

Chinmay Mahapatra

ANSWER: Chinmay:  If it were a tumor growing on the bone there would be other symptoms than just a hard calcified growth.  If doctors indicate it can be removed they also know that if it was something that required immediate attention they would have acted promptly instead of simply confirming that it is operable.  If the growth continues to enlarge while creating other symptoms such as pain, elevated fever, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech, difficulty focusing, memory lapses, and/or exacerbated lethargy, then you'd have something to be concerned about.  At the moment, though, her doctors feel safe that this is nothing that poses any immediate danger to her health.  Get her back to a doctor right away if she develops other symptoms.  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Oldham ---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hello Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Some of the symptoms that you have mentioned can be seen in my mom i.e. dizziness, difficulty focusing and memory lapses. She even lost her ability to think properly on certain situations and can't make decision. She gets angry even now and then. Is this some kind of fits or something else that generates when the tumor shows its reaction?

Regards

Chinmay
Laine

Bone Growth In Head

Postby Ridpath » Sat May 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Hello Doctor,

A small part of a bone is grown in my mom's head. It was there in her skull and can be felt if we touch it. Now in the last 5 months the bone lump that can be felt is visible on her head. We can literally see it. Doctors say it can operated upon and can be removed. Is it really a brain bone tumor. Is it dangerous for her health to remove it?

Regards

Chinmay Mahapatra

ANSWER: Chinmay:  If it were a tumor growing on the bone there would be other symptoms than just a hard calcified growth.  If doctors indicate it can be removed they also know that if it was something that required immediate attention they would have acted promptly instead of simply confirming that it is operable.  If the growth continues to enlarge while creating other symptoms such as pain, elevated fever, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, blurred vision, slurred speech, difficulty focusing, memory lapses, and/or exacerbated lethargy, then you'd have something to be concerned about.  At the moment, though, her doctors feel safe that this is nothing that poses any immediate danger to her health.  Get her back to a doctor right away if she develops other symptoms.  If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Oldham ---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Hello Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Some of the symptoms that you have mentioned can be seen in my mom i.e. dizziness, difficulty focusing and memory lapses. She even lost her ability to think properly on certain situations and can't make decision. She gets angry even now and then. Is this some kind of fits or something else that generates when the tumor shows its reaction?

Regards

Chinmay
Ridpath

Bone Growth In Head

Postby Crosley » Sun May 08, 2016 3:53 am

Chinmay:  The symptoms I described, coupled together with factors such as your mother's age, weight, activity level, general health and medical history, may be indicative of something completely unrelated to the calcified growth on the bone.  It may be independent of those things because it could be any number of neurological disorders.  I'd suggest you get her in to see a neurologist as soon as you can.  Only they can perform all the tests needed to make a definitive and accurate diagnosis.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Oldham
Crosley

Return to Bone Cancer