Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:



Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Bone Graft Failure?

Discussions relating to bone cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Bone Graft Failure?

Postby yehonadov » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:25 pm

I am having some of the same issues as a post from Wendy and I am afraid that my bone graft on tooth #14 is failing.

I had a second treatment in Jan 2009 on a root canal that was completed in my teenage years. Since the 2nd treatment, I have had severe issues all year. I had a temporary crown placed after the treatment, I had that on for about 2 months(with no apparent issues). I then went in and had the permanent crown placed and about 2 to 2 1/2 months later I started having swelling of the area and face and not being able to chew anything on that side and brushing my teeth hurt. I went back into the dentist where I was informed food got lodged in between the teeth(possibility) and to come back in 2 weeks. Upon my return there was an obvious infection with an abscess on the inside of my mouth. Initially the dentist thought it was another root(4th one not previously seen).

He then did an x-ray and found that my root was fractured and explained the next process I went through. I had to have a cadaver bone and full extraction of the tooth that had fractured. I went to another dentist because I was told my tooth fractured from biting wrong on food and was not comfortable with the 1st dentists opinion on what caused the fracture(I felt this was his fault when placing the permanent crown). The second dentist took one look and explained that I needed this surgical procedure with the cadaver bone and a new bridge placed in my mouth. I had the surgery scheduled for September 3rd, but because the infection would not go away(I was on Amoxicillian prescribed by the second doctor for 7 days)and I had to have emergency surgery the next day to get the “source of the infection” out.(should they have done the graft knowing my infection was this bad???)I was in surgery for 3 hours for the extraction and cadaver bone placement. They put me on another stronger antibiotic(Clindamycin 150mg) for 10 days(now 17 days on antibiotics). 1 week later the pain was so intense still and they re-checked the area and did some adjustments to my temporary bridge. On labor day I ended up in the emergency room because the pain was so intense and my sinuses were plugged up. The emergency room doctor stated I had a sever sinus infection and put me on the same name brand of antibiotics I was on before(Clindimycin) but now at 300mg’s and a total of 27 days on antibiotics. The next day I went to see my dentist because of the pain and swelling because i was leaving town on vacation I was told to wait 4 weeks to see how the cadaver was healing. So after waiting the 4 weeks I went back in for my post op and found that I had a bone spur that needed to be fixed and I then needed a root canal on the front tooth where the bridge was placed. The next day I went in and had the root canal(not one tooth but both teeth were done where the bridge connects). I went in a week later and had the stitches removed and it has been 2 weeks since I was in- It seems that I will start feeling better then a week or so later i start feeling really bad and the pain and swelling returns. This past weekend(10/24/09) I started swelling in the face and the area where all the work had been completed. I took a Motrin 600 and 1/2 loritab and the swelling went down. I am still very very tender and sore in the area where all the work had been completed and my face is still a little swollen. Since the swelling was noticed on 10/24, I have been waking up nightly with night sweats and have to remove all my clothing because I am sweating so bad. A friend stated that the cadaver bone could be rejecting, but after hours of research on the Internet and a phone call to the dentist office, I am not able to find symptoms of a rejecting cadaver bone.. ANY THOUGHTS? I called the dentist office about what happened over the weekend and they stated it could have been food that got lodged in the area and to rinse with 1/2 water and 1/2 peroxide. I have not been able to chew on that side since all this has happened starting in July of 2009(when it was found that my tooth was fractured).

I am at a complete loss. I have spent almost $5,000.00 out of pocket(after insurance) and I cannot afford to put any more money into this tooth- I am losing my job in December and need to save as much money as I can until I find another job. Any help or suggestions would be extremely helpful. I am suppose to get my permanent bridge next week
yehonadov
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 am

Bone Graft Failure?

Postby molloy69 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Tiara -  I hate to tell you this, but you are a patient who was medically abused by a dentist who really knows nothing about surgery.  I am not saying this to make you scared, but to tell you the honest truth.  When an infection exists, like you had with the tooth that had the root canal, crown, fracture and later extraction, never and I mean never should any bone graft be placed in the area for a minimum of 6 months after the infection has resolved completely.  From what you describe, the doctor did the graft in an area that was never not infected.  When an graft is placed in this situation, the graft acts as a medium that bacteria loves to grow.  This would greatly enhance the infection and eventually invade an infect the sinus, if an upper tooth was the tooth extracted.  

Unfortunately, on this website, I have seen this scenario repeated again and again by doctors who nothing about surgery and just do it to make money.  The best thing to now do is probably to just remove the graft, the source of the infection and hopefully allow a natural healing of the area.  It was not food, as they said, that promoted the growth of the infection and probable failure of the graft, but the improper treatment.  With your obvious financial problems, the correct treatment, to remove the graft now, is a little difficult.  You really need to only see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to clean the area and allow it to heal.  Once fully healed, then and only then could anything be done to build the bone back up to allow an implant to be placed.  With your lack of money, this is a problem.  

I don't often suggest this, but you should seek assistance from an attorney. If the time sequence of what was done and the treatment rendered was totally accurate, then the doctors did something that was wrong.  You deserve, at least, your money back and possibly repair of the area.  I am not an attorney, but with what you have endured, you need to have a knowledgeable attorney help you.  I wish you well and hope you can be restored.
molloy69
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Bone Graft Failure?

Postby Aiyetoro » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:43 pm

I am having some of the same issues as a post from Wendy and I am afraid that my bone graft on tooth #14 is failing.

I had a second treatment in Jan 2009 on a root canal that was completed in my teenage years. Since the 2nd treatment, I have had severe issues all year. I had a temporary crown placed after the treatment, I had that on for about 2 months(with no apparent issues). I then went in and had the permanent crown placed and about 2 to 2 1/2 months later I started having swelling of the area and face and not being able to chew anything on that side and brushing my teeth hurt. I went back into the dentist where I was informed food got lodged in between the teeth(possibility) and to come back in 2 weeks. Upon my return there was an obvious infection with an abscess on the inside of my mouth. Initially the dentist thought it was another root(4th one not previously seen).

He then did an x-ray and found that my root was fractured and explained the next process I went through. I had to have a cadaver bone and full extraction of the tooth that had fractured. I went to another dentist because I was told my tooth fractured from biting wrong on food and was not comfortable with the 1st dentists opinion on what caused the fracture(I felt this was his fault when placing the permanent crown). The second dentist took one look and explained that I needed this surgical procedure with the cadaver bone and a new bridge placed in my mouth. I had the surgery scheduled for September 3rd, but because the infection would not go away(I was on Amoxicillian prescribed by the second doctor for 7 days)and I had to have emergency surgery the next day to get the “source of the infection” out.(should they have done the graft knowing my infection was this bad???)I was in surgery for 3 hours for the extraction and cadaver bone placement. They put me on another stronger antibiotic(Clindamycin 150mg) for 10 days(now 17 days on antibiotics). 1 week later the pain was so intense still and they re-checked the area and did some adjustments to my temporary bridge. On labor day I ended up in the emergency room because the pain was so intense and my sinuses were plugged up. The emergency room doctor stated I had a sever sinus infection and put me on the same name brand of antibiotics I was on before(Clindimycin) but now at 300mg’s and a total of 27 days on antibiotics. The next day I went to see my dentist because of the pain and swelling because i was leaving town on vacation I was told to wait 4 weeks to see how the cadaver was healing. So after waiting the 4 weeks I went back in for my post op and found that I had a bone spur that needed to be fixed and I then needed a root canal on the front tooth where the bridge was placed. The next day I went in and had the root canal(not one tooth but both teeth were done where the bridge connects). I went in a week later and had the stitches removed and it has been 2 weeks since I was in- It seems that I will start feeling better then a week or so later i start feeling really bad and the pain and swelling returns. This past weekend(10/24/09) I started swelling in the face and the area where all the work had been completed. I took a Motrin 600 and 1/2 loritab and the swelling went down. I am still very very tender and sore in the area where all the work had been completed and my face is still a little swollen. Since the swelling was noticed on 10/24, I have been waking up nightly with night sweats and have to remove all my clothing because I am sweating so bad. A friend stated that the cadaver bone could be rejecting, but after hours of research on the Internet and a phone call to the dentist office, I am not able to find symptoms of a rejecting cadaver bone.. ANY THOUGHTS? I called the dentist office about what happened over the weekend and they stated it could have been food that got lodged in the area and to rinse with 1/2 water and 1/2 peroxide. I have not been able to chew on that side since all this has happened starting in July of 2009(when it was found that my tooth was fractured).

I am at a complete loss. I have spent almost $5,000.00 out of pocket(after insurance) and I cannot afford to put any more money into this tooth- I am losing my job in December and need to save as much money as I can until I find another job. Any help or suggestions would be extremely helpful. I am suppose to get my permanent bridge next week
Aiyetoro
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:57 am


Return to Bone Cancer

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
cron