Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Genetic Testing For Breast Cancer

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Bone Cancer, Prostate Cancer.. how long can a person live with it?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby uilleam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:47 am

After being diagnosed with bone cancer, how long can a person live with it? Where else does it spread once in the bones? It came from the prostate gland, but after surgery one year and then radiation the next year...none of that worked.
uilleam

Postby cecilius27 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:50 am

If it came from the prostate gland then it's not bone cancer it's prostate cancer in his bones.

I had bone cancer and it's different.

According to wikipedia bones and lymph nodes are the most common places for prostate cancer to spread.

I don't know how long a person can live with it. I don't think anyone can know this. The person should talk to their dr.
cecilius27

Postby atzel » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 am

If it came from the prostate than it is prostate cancer, not bone cancer and if this is the case it is not curable. I’m not sure what you mean about radiation not working as it usually works very well for pain. They could also try hormone therapy. Patients can survive years at stage 4, it really depends on if they respond to treatment.

EDIT: I understand. Prostate cancer usually does spread to the bone doesn’t make it bone cancer.
atzel

Postby celestine » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:59 am

Its metastatic prostate cancer (to the bone). Is the patient or has the patient tried Zometa? Its an IV that is given every 5 weeks. Its not considered chemo. It can spread to the lungs and liver. The radiation can cause bladder issues as well, such as cancer or cystitis (irritation that causes pain and bleeding with urination). I've known patients that have lived for several years after their diagnosis.
celestine

Return to General Cancer Discussion