American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Blood Test Results And Kidney Cancer

Kidney Cancer Discussions

Postby Frewyn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:22 pm

Hello,

My husband had a full open nephrectomy back in October after having a kidney stone.  That is how it was found, no other symptoms.  It was a huge tumor 9.5 T2N1MX.  The pre-surgery testing showed no spread although the surgery had cancer in one perinephric lymph node.  After surgery he had elevated creatinine 4.09 and GFR 15.  He ended up back in the hospital and has had two blood tests since.  His primary care doctor says he is anemic and I suspect Raynauds disease because his fingers freeze up and turn white at the end at times.  I am concered about his latest blood test results especially the sed rate.  I found on the web it can indicate metastic cancer.  Here are the results.  I am hoping you can shed some light.  He has also been diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure and is under a nephrologists care as well.

BUN 49 HI

Creatinine 2.5 HI(Down from 4.09 when in Hospital and 2.8 last test)

Calcium 8.7

Sodium 137

Potassium 4.8(Down from 5.5)

Chloride 106

Carbon Dioxide 23

Serum Iron 74

Ferritan 345

WBC 6.5

RBC 3.52  LO

Hemoglobin 11.2 LO

HCT 31.7  LO

MCV 90.1

MCH 31.8

MCHC 35.2

Platelet Count 252000

RDW-CV 15.2 HI

Sedrate  68 HI

My husband is 62 yeats old with normal blood pressure.  He is on natural treatments IP-6, beta-glucan, CoQ10, B-vitamins as he was advised not to take any adjuvent treatment due to the kidney failure.  I know he does have anemia based on the blood work and his primary care doctor and I suspect Raynauds. I am terrified that the cancer has spread based on the sedrate.  The urologist said he got it all, and it did have clear margins although the tumor did extend into the surrounding perenephric fat.  The oncologist said he needs to consider himself cured and do faithful follow ups. I saw the sedrate researched and paniced.  What does it mean in my husbands case. I forgot to mention I am closely watching his diet as well.  Light on the protein, watching out for oxalate cause of the stone in the remaining kidney, leaching potatoes etc.  I am in a panic now.  Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to this very long email.

Maryann
Frewyn

Postby Ayo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Maryann,

The sed rate is VERY nonspecific - that is to say, many, many things can lead to an elevated sed rate - and it is hardly ever because of metastatic cancer.  Imaging studies, such as CT , MRI, Pet scans, etc, are much better tools with which to detect metastasis.  However, no test we have to date can detect microscopic cells in the blood stream or lymph system, and it is these cells that are the source of metastatic disease.  Your oncologist is, in my opinion, entirely correct - consider him cured and do faithful follow up.  One aspect of a cancer diagnosis is that there often is uncertainty, and this can be very difficult to live with.  

I would be very careful about using supplements.  When there is kidney failure, the body is slower to clear many, many substances - including those found in  supplements.  Please ask his nephrologist about this, if you have not already done so.

Sincerely,

J. Seigle, MD
Ayo

Postby Camdin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:26 am

Hello,

My husband had a full open nephrectomy back in October after having a kidney stone.  That is how it was found, no other symptoms.  It was a huge tumor 9.5 T2N1MX.  The pre-surgery testing showed no spread although the surgery had cancer in one perinephric lymph node.  After surgery he had elevated creatinine 4.09 and GFR 15.  He ended up back in the hospital and has had two blood tests since.  His primary care doctor says he is anemic and I suspect Raynauds disease because his fingers freeze up and turn white at the end at times.  I am concered about his latest blood test results especially the sed rate.  I found on the web it can indicate metastic cancer.  Here are the results.  I am hoping you can shed some light.  He has also been diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure and is under a nephrologists care as well.

BUN 49 HI

Creatinine 2.5 HI(Down from 4.09 when in Hospital and 2.8 last test)

Calcium 8.7

Sodium 137

Potassium 4.8(Down from 5.5)

Chloride 106

Carbon Dioxide 23

Serum Iron 74

Ferritan 345

WBC 6.5

RBC 3.52  LO

Hemoglobin 11.2 LO

HCT 31.7  LO

MCV 90.1

MCH 31.8

MCHC 35.2

Platelet Count 252000

RDW-CV 15.2 HI

Sedrate  68 HI

My husband is 62 yeats old with normal blood pressure.  He is on natural treatments IP-6, beta-glucan, CoQ10, B-vitamins as he was advised not to take any adjuvent treatment due to the kidney failure.  I know he does have anemia based on the blood work and his primary care doctor and I suspect Raynauds. I am terrified that the cancer has spread based on the sedrate.  The urologist said he got it all, and it did have clear margins although the tumor did extend into the surrounding perenephric fat.  The oncologist said he needs to consider himself cured and do faithful follow ups. I saw the sedrate researched and paniced.  What does it mean in my husbands case. I forgot to mention I am closely watching his diet as well.  Light on the protein, watching out for oxalate cause of the stone in the remaining kidney, leaching potatoes etc.  I am in a panic now.  Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to this very long email.

Maryann
Camdin

Return to Kidney Cancer