Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Beet Pulp Pellets For Horses...?

The latest news from Cancer Trials and Cancer Research around the world.

Postby Wendale » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 pm

I have been feeding beet pulp pellets (soaked for a few hours in water) to my horses (16 and 23 years old) for the last year. The 16 YO appy is very hard to keep the weight on, and beet pulp has seemed to help her maintain the weight she does have. I feed it to the 23 YO qh gelding to help him get the fiber and added nutrients since he's getting older. My concern is this:

A few people I have spoken to about beet pulp say that it is high in sugar (which I didn't believe to be true, after reading how it is processed), and I have never had any problems with founder or colic. by the end of the day, they end up getting about a gallon each if beet pulp total combined in three feedings. I don't feed any grain regularly, just a handful of dry Cobb as an occasional treat. We feed a 85% grass 15% alfalfa mixture of hay. So, is beet pulp alright to feed in this quantity? Should I be concerned about the sugar content?

We have our vet checks scheduled in two months, so I can get more info from my vet at that time. But I'm wondering what all of you have to say?

Thanks!
Wendale

Postby Gilley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:27 pm

We call "beet pulp" sugar beet where I live. And we just feed it as added extra it is mainly fibre and won't help your horse put on or maintain weight.

My t.b who was a bad doer would get a scoop of conditioning mix, half scoop of Alfa Alfa and quarter scoop of sugar beet.

Unless you are feeding speedi beet which only has to be soaked for a couple of hours sugar beet pellets should be soaked for 24 hours to prevent colic.
Gilley

Postby Albert » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Some horses can have a response to beet pulp, however it's mainly given that the proprietor does now not soak it long enough. Because you bought pellets you can use 1 feed scoop in a feed bucket and about triple the water probably extra.. They need to soak for five-10 hours. So in case you feed it to him in the morning then soak it in a single day. If you will be feeding it to him AM and PM then simply make some up at any time when you feed. Why can not he have hay? Otherwise you simply need to provide him whatever else? For rough keepers rice bran is a giant plus!! After the beep pulp soaks its time mix it with a scoop of rice bran! The horse will find it irresistible!!
Albert

Postby Attmore » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Beet pulp is not high in starch or other sugars, and is safe to feed to horses with insulin resistance or prone to laminitis.
it is a high fiber, low starch feed comparable to hay but that provides more calories pound for pound than hay does, which is why it is fed to assist with weight gain.

It is digested by fermentation in the hind gut in the same way that pasture grasses and legumes or hays (forages) are digested, so it is fed as part of the total forage ration.

The fiber in hay and pastures differs from the fiber in beet pulp in that it is a long stem fiber that significantly aids digestive motility, and should comprise at minimum 1% of a horse's body weight in the daily ration.
So, a 1000 lb horse should consume at least 10 pounds of long stem fiber from hay or pasture forages daily.
You can safely replace up to 50% of the forage ration with beet pulp, so if a horse is consuming ten pounds of hay and pasture, then up to ten pounds of beet pulp can be fed to up the total forage ration to 2% of the horse's body weight, or 20 pounds of combined hay/pasture/and beet pulp.

Feed rations are calculated by weight, and not by volume, so you need to know the comparative weights in order to assure that the dry weight of the beet pulp being fed doesn't exceed the dry weight of the hay and pasture forages being consumed daily.

You can buy a simple hanging scale such as the ones used to weigh fish, and hang a gallon of beet pulp on it to measure the weight.
Then hang a flake of your hay to weigh it, and multiply that weight by the number of flakes consumed daily to get your total weight.

Since you have to estimate pasture intake, it's safest to only feed as much beet pulp as the weight of the hay that your horse normally consumes daily.
Again, remember that your horse should be getting at least 1% of his body weight from long stem fiber hay or pasture at the very minimum.

FYI, it is not necessary to soak beet pulp any more than you would soak any other dry feed, as has been proven in numerous clinical trials.
By soaking it for too many hours you risk the beet pulp beginning to decompose, ferment, and become rancid, especially in warmer weather.
If you prefer to soak it, then a shorter period of soaking is safer.
Attmore

Return to Cancer News and Clinical Trials