Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Asbestos Removal?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Asbestos Removal?

Postby fremont » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm

If I were to use all of the recomended RPE and PPE (the overalls and masks etc) for a job in asbestos removal, and all the correct procedures were followed (suffaxant liquids were used) and a fully operational negative pressure unit was used, what are the odds that I would still develop asbestos related diseases in later life?

I've looked searched for some facts and figures but can not find any that relate specifically to asbestos removal operatives.

If all of the rules and guidelines were correctly followed how safe would it be?
fremont

Asbestos Removal?

Postby jedidiah » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:25 pm

If you use proper suppression and all the stuff RPE/PPE there should be a minimal risk. Probably no greater than using the underground everyday (and a variety of other jobs where they still have ACM brake linings)
Have you ever seen a stripping firm do it all properly? It's usually down to the site supervisor.

Badger: you can't say that blue is the worst...It's like jumping off a cliff. white/brown is like 300ft and blue is like 310ft...its all going to kill you.
jedidiah

Asbestos Removal?

Postby wylingford34 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Its only dangerous when its airborne and you breath it in. Plus its only when you get prolonged exposure does it really become a danger I think theres a lot more hype to it then really needed just dont dreath it in and you will be fine! The blue aspestos is the worst

EDIT it gets inside your lungs and doesnt always kill you some people develop it others dont my grandad worked with it for years before the regs where brought in and he's fine but a mate who he worked with died from it. basically it gets inside your lungs and "sometimes" it starts to grow like a mineral that is what kills you! its not that bad people over react like below id rather work with aspestos than jump of a cliff?

With regards to monkey piss yes my grandads mate's wife died from washing overalls but this is from long exposur over years and years of everyday handling. Still just dont breath it in and you will be fine its only aspestos its not napalm!
wylingford34

Asbestos Removal?

Postby livingston » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Don't know if this help but I had a small outhouse with an asbestos roof removed recently.
The men had to erect scaffolding to completely cover the building tarpaulins. They wore breathing apparatus with air tanks and sprayed water throughout.
The materials were taken away in an enclosed truck.
It was a very expensive reroofing for such a small building.
livingston

Asbestos Removal?

Postby bryne » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:49 pm

Can I just add to badger baiters answer you only have to breath it in once it attaches to the lining of your lung and bingo you a gonna.
bryne

Asbestos Removal?

Postby amikam » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes its the dust thats dangerous if you follow all the guide lines correctly you wont end up breathing in any dust so you are safe it's when corners are cut that it's not safe, even residual dust on overalls etc if not correctly handled will be dangerous ie you wouldnt take your overalls home and give them to your wife/mum to bung in the washer
amikam

Return to Mesothelioma Forum