Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Asbestos Removal

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Asbestos Removal

Postby Riocard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Under carpet in all rooms of my house built in 1977 a white substance scattered over plywood sub-floor thought to be joint compound dropings tested positive for asbestos. One asbestos company says plwood must be removed and that it can't be cleaned and sealed. A second company says asbestos can be cleaned up and then a regular primer sealer like Kilz put on plywood.Because of money I prefer clean and seal. Can the asbestos be cleaned off the plywood and sealed? If so what sealer? Seems like there should be a special asbestos sealer instead of regular primer sealer like Kilz. Thank you in advance!
Riocard

Asbestos Removal

Postby curtiss » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:12 am

Hi Robert;You have a family, possibly pets, and visitors to your home.  Why would you gamble with asbestos, which is a killer.  Normal home air currents and foot traffic allows invisible, microscopic particles of the asbestos to become airborne, allowing the human lung to become a trap and filter.  If you haven't already, I STRONGLY suggest that you, your family members, and any pets, visit your doctor and vet, to be checked for lung damage.  I am not a doctor, but remember that what may be in your lungs today, may not manifest itself into ill effects for years, or it may become noticeable tomorrow.  Do you know from where the white powder came?  It could be under the plywood in the subfloor or other building materials, etc.  So think about it.  Just sealing the surface of absorbent plywood will not cure the problem if the source of the asbestos is under the plywood.  Suppose it is seeping from walls.  Suppose it is seeping from under the plywood and coming up around the perimeters of your home.  The fact you see the problem in one area, does not mean it is not present in other areas of your home.  My suggestion is to IMMEDIATELY call in a certified asbestos removal company and remove everything in the affected area including the current floor covering, plywood, subfloor, moldings, etc., and have the walls and joists checked for any additional asbestos content.  Then, by the same certified asbestos removal firm, I would have small sections of all other floor coverings in your home lifted, to see if there is any evidence of the same type of white powder.  The fact that you have exposed that powdery substance means it has migrated to walls, furniture, clothing, possibly lungs, etc.  I would get the heck out of that house and have the removal firm check the entire residence for asbestos content.  Sure, I'm an alarmest.  Your life is at stake.  Check with your homeowners insurance agent to see if the costs are covered by your policy.  You really are living in a powder keg and URGENTLY need to address a life threatening situation.  From your questions, you seem to have not considered the dire need to rid your home of that material.  I probably would win a bet that if someone certified took air samples in all areas of your home, you may find asbestos particles all over the place.  Forgive me for being blunt, but you really need to properly act NOW.  Forget sealing.  Get rid of your asbestos problem NOW!

Cordially,

John Michaels

Hi, again, Robert;

We are a floor covering inspection and testing service.  We have over 850 inspectors scattered throughout our trading area, which is every city and town in all 50 U. S. States, all the Provinces of Canada, Northern Mexico, the Caribbean, and the prominant Provinces of Mainland China.  We get involved with asbestos matters all the time.  I saw that you read my original response and wanted to make certain you took prompt action, especially where asbestos is concerned.  Please just send me a follow-up that you either accepted or rejected my advice, but at least read my responses.

Cordially,

John Michaels
curtiss

Asbestos Removal

Postby Nerve » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Under carpet in all rooms of my house built in 1977 a white substance scattered over plywood sub-floor thought to be joint compound dropings tested positive for asbestos. One asbestos company says plwood must be removed and that it can't be cleaned and sealed. A second company says asbestos can be cleaned up and then a regular primer sealer like Kilz put on plywood.Because of money I prefer clean and seal. Can the asbestos be cleaned off the plywood and sealed? If so what sealer? Seems like there should be a special asbestos sealer instead of regular primer sealer like Kilz. Thank you in advance!
Nerve

Return to Mesothelioma Forum