Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Asbestos In Ceramic Tiles?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Stille » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:14 am

The ceramic tiles in my bathroom need to be removed.The property was built in 1973 and I dont think the bathroom has ever been redecorated so the tiles possibly contain asbestos. I have looked for information on the internet,but here are many conflicting opinions.Some say Asbestos is dangerous if worked with for long periods of time.Where other sites almost make out that breathing in one fibre could cause cancer in the future.I intend to wear a mask when removing the tiles would this be sufficient or should I contact a professional
Stille

Postby thayne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:17 am

Most ceramic tiles contain no asbestos.
thayne

Postby Winfield » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am

Ceramic tiles don't contain asbestos.
Winfield

Postby Lorah » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:21 am

There was never asbestos in ceramic tiles. They ( at that time) were made of water and a clay mixture. Modern tiles are made of a porcelain or clay body.

Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar and check my qualifications there.
GL
Lorah

Postby Walter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 am

The first thing you need to do is take one of the tiles and the glue holding it to a local lab for testing.
The tile is rarely asbestos, but the glue would be the most likely to have it.
If there is no asbestos, do your thing.
If asbestos, especially the glue, you need to have it professionally removed or just covered up.
If you need to sand or scrape the glue or tear into the wall, it needs to be removed professionally.
There is no way for you to do anything 100% "safe" if there is asbestos.
Walter

Postby Alva » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am

The tile it self is clay based and would not incorporate asbestos. As for the mastic it may incorporate asbestos splendid right here might have it examined previously doing any further artwork. look up your community risky waste organisation and ask them in the event that they could assist you to out, you are able to locate them indexed under environmental businesses. I you in basic terms broke some products you would be superb it takes a splash greater suitable than that yet for goodness sake keep the babies out of the artwork area. look at this way we used asbestos in motor vehicle and truck brakes and clucthes for years.
Alva

Return to Mesothelioma Forum