Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Anybody ever had brain tumor surgery and it was successful?

Anything relating to brain tumors symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby marx » Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

My friend just had brain tumor surgery yesterday, and I hope and pray that she will recover fully and will be ok. Her brain tumor was benign, and the size of a ping pong ball. She awoke from her surgery, and they did several tests, which told the doctors that all of her motor skills were ok. They are hoping that she will be out of the hospitial in several days. What can I expect, and is this surgery usually successful? She is only 23. Thanks.
marx

Postby sorley » Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 pm

My friend just had brain tumor surgery yesterday, and I hope and pray that she will recover fully and will be ok. Her brain tumor was benign, and the size of a ping pong ball. She awoke from her surgery, and they did several tests, which told the doctors that all of her motor skills were ok. They are hoping that she will be out of the hospitial in several days. What can I expect, and is this surgery usually successful? She is only 23. Thanks.
My 48 year old boyfriend suffered a grand mal seizure at his job site, on June 30, 2007. After being taken to the local ER by ambulance, the did a CT scan. It revealed a huge brain tumor. The next day, they did a MRI. I am a CT/MRI technologist, and have been in this field for 15 years, and I had never seen such a large brain tumor (except in medical books). By July 3, we were at California Pacific Medical Center, in San Francisco, and he had the tumor removed. The neurologist was pretty sure it was a benign meningioma before surgery, and once they opened him up, the tumor appeared to be a benign meningioma. He got out of surgery on 7/3 at 6:00 pm. They took him to CCU. By noon, on 7/4, a physical therapist was walking the halls with him, and testing his motor skills. That evening, he was moved to a regular hospital room, where we enjoyed the view and sounds of all the fireworks (4th of July in SF is crazy!) He was discharged from the hospital in the late morning 7/5, after another MRI scan. We stayed the night in SF, just so we would be close to the hospital if we needed assistance, and a long car ride didn't sound all that appealing to him. We came home on 7/6, with some simple restrictions. He couldn't drive because of the anti-seizure medications, and he was instructed to only do physically what he felt comfortable doing. In other words, don't over do it! On 7/11/07, he had a follow up appointment, with his neurologist in SF to remove the staples. At that appointment, the pathology was in, and we were reassured the tumor was benign. The next day, he started working for small time periods (he is self employed, and he hired a young guy to drive him around). I was really surprised at how fast he recovered from such an invasive procedure! At the end of August, he had a follow up MRI scan, which showed no problems. Other than the yearly MRI scans, he can pretty much do anything he could do before the tumor was discovered! I hope your friend does as well as my boyfriend did! Best wishes....
sorley

Postby darcy » Fri May 24, 2013 4:43 pm

I had surgery 11-28-07, We will survive.
darcy

Postby jacky » Fri May 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Hi

Since surgery was yesterday, I don't see how they can have diagnosed it to have been benign, unless this is the second surgical procedure following a prior biopsy.

Tumor pathology is required and that normally can easily take about 2 weeks, before knowing what kind of tumor it was and what the prognosis might be.

Where was it located in her brain and what was the tumor staging and histology?

My daughter had brain surgery on July 1, 1998 to remove a golf ball sized tumor from her brain. She was 12 then. She's 21 now.

It was malignant (brain cancer) and called medulloblastoma.

After removal she received 6 weeks of radiaton therapy with vinecristine, a six week rest and then a full year of chemotherapy vinecristine, cisplatin and cytoxin.

Even should it turn out to be malignant, things may still work out well. You will have to wait the two weeks for the tumor pathology before knowing what the next steps might be.

With kind and gentle regards,

David Edge
Founder Yahoo parental support group Pediatric Brain Tumors
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pediatricbraintumors
jacky

Postby kasen » Fri May 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I had brain surgery to remove a golf ball sized tumor 3-1/2 years ago. I was home from the hospital after a few days and back to work and driving after 6 weeks.
Radiologists can diagnose fairly accurately prior to surgery the grade of the tumor from CT scans, MRI's, MRA's, PET scans, etc.
As soon as the tumor is removed it is sent to pathology labs and the results are available immediately. I had a written report in my hands the day my surgery. So you can feel confident that if she has been told the tumor is benign, it is benign
Your friend might be on a steroids to keep swelling down inside the skull. Steroids can cause many side affects, including weight gain and restlessness.
She might also be on anti-seizure meds for a time. I was on them for 6 weeks and then slowly lowered my dosage.
Your friend can expect to experience fatigue. This is normal. She will get tired very easily and will sleep alot. This can last for months because the brain heals slower than any other organ in the body.
There is always a chance of the tumor coming back, but she will probably be monitored every 6 months or so with MRI's to check for that.
So far I have had no regrowth of my tumor and I'm living a perfectly normal life.
Good luck to your friend.
kasen

Postby warrick13 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:24 pm

Yes!!! your friend's prognosis sounds really good. My 35yo handsome, strapping s-i-l was diagosed at age 19 with testicular cancer that metastisized (sic) to his brain. given the last rites twice, his parents were told to put his affairs in order. well, he didn't pass as expected and tho his hair never grew back, he is a happy husband and father. A helpful tool may be following the budwig diet that has been known to reverse the size of tumors/growths in cancer patients. good luck and many blessings to you and your friend!!!
warrick13

Return to Brain Tumors