Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Am I Too Young For A Mammogram?

Ovarian Cancer Discussion Forum

Postby Chadd » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:01 pm

I am only 23 but have a TON of cancer in my family.
We also have a cancerous Gene that is passed down.
So far everybody on my dads side of the family has passed from some sort of cancer.
My cousin and I are the only ones still cancer free.
So, with that being said, I know its important to dectect cancer early.
So would it be a good idea to get a mammogram already or way too soon?
Chadd

Postby Damh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm

There's a test that can be done to see if you are carrying this gene. 10% of all breast cancer is caused by mammograms. Starting this ritual at age 23, pretty young.
Damh

Postby darby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

At 21 a mammogram would be extremely ineffective as your breast tissue could be too dense for any irregularities to look. If there's a suspicious area then another form of imaging (often ultrasound) could be accomplished. usually mammograms start up at age 40 or 50 (reckoning on which u . s . you reside in) or 10 years youthful than the age at which a 1st degree relative grew to become into clinically determined. A 1st degree relative is a infant, discern or sibling. If the courting is added away than this then you definitely at the instant are not often seen at any bigger risk.
darby

Postby Blane » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:12 pm

It definitely wouldn't hurt, especially if there is a lot of cancer in your family.
As it ups your chances even more.
But I would talk to you doctor, and see if they would recommend it, or think you should wait a few years.
Blane

Postby Armande » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm

To answer your question: Yes, you are too young for a mammogram.

Now, a reality check.

What cancer gene? (It is actually called a "gene mutation", but I understand what you mean.) BRCA-1 and BRCA-2 gene mutations are considered the "breast cancer" ones.

How old were the women in your family when they were diagnosed with ovarian or breast cancer? Were they under 50? 40? 30? If they were under 30, then 1) your doctor must know. 2) You and your doctor must be diligent about examining your breasts for abnormal lumps and looking for skin dimpling (poking-in) and "orange peel" looking skin. 3) get the ovarian cancer screening blood test (CA-125). 3) Ultrasound is a good alternative to mammograms for a lump or other abnormality you or your doctor finds. If they were under 40, you can probably get away with getting regular mammograms around 35 or so.

It isn't that we don't want to do mammograms on very young women...It is just that breast cancer is generally not seen in someone as young as you. The breast tissue is just too dense and all that tissue hides cancers. Also (and actually more important) if you get too many mammograms when you are really young, then you have a slightly greater chance of getting breast cancer in your middle years (past 50) because of the radiation from mammograms done in your youth.

If every woman in your dad's family had breast or ovarian cancer early in life, you may want to actually be tested for the BRCA gene mutations, and if they are positive, you may want to consider having your breasts or ovaries surgically removed, after you have had your children.
Armande

Postby Alrik » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Good for you, do everything you can to prevent cancer.
Alrik

Postby Maeret » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:23 pm

I would think that 23 would be a bit young for mammograms. But you could certainly start doing self exams, if you haven't already.

Talk to you doctor, that way you'll know for sure.
Maeret

Postby deryck » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Make an appointment with a doctor and tell them all of this. They may decide to start you out now, they may want you to wait a few years. Make sure you do monthly exams in the meantime.

My doctor had me start when I turned 30 because of my family history.
deryck

Postby Aymer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

I am only 23 but have a TON of cancer in my family.
We also have a cancerous Gene that is passed down.
So far everybody on my dads side of the family has passed from some sort of cancer.
My cousin and I are the only ones still cancer free.

So, with that being said, I know its important to dectect cancer early.
So would it be a good idea to get a mammogram already or way too soon?
Aymer

Return to Ovarian Cancer