Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Am I At Risk For Mesothelioma?

Mesothelioma causes, treatment and diagnosis discussion

Postby Ervin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:44 am

I am 15, and bought a Israel Civilian Gas Mask, and a Replacement Nato Filter. A review was posted a couple months after I bought it that said it had blue asbestos in it. This is what the review said "WARNING DO NOT USE!! Contaminated with blue asbestos!!! WARNING MAY CAUSE MESOTHELIOMA!!!

Here is some back ground information about these Russian filters.

These gas mask filters contain blue asbestos. It is unknown how long for certain the material was used in them. Breathing blue asbestos in the factories resulted in the death of 10% of the workforce due to pleural and peritoneal mesothelioma. This rate was between 2.5 and 3.2 times the normal incidence of lung or respiratory cancers.

Many scare stories have originated from various Russian gas masks and their filters that are now common in surplus stores; the GP-5 was often considered to have an asbestos filter. In October 2013, an asbestos lab in Salt Lake City found out that the particle filter is made of 7.5% asbestos.

The filter is made so that the asbestos fibers cannot be breathed in, if the filter layer is not damaged. Nearly all Russian cold war period masks contain asbestos along with the filters." Am I at risk of getting mesothelioma? I have used the filter for a total of about 2 hours. Any tips will be useful! Thanks!
Ervin

Postby Ramsey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:50 am

Is the risk zero, no. Is it so low as not to be measurable, yes. Take the mask and seal it in a couple of ziplock bags and display it, do not use it. Even if there was no asbestos, the mask was worthless as a gas mask. The filters and rubber are too old to pass a standard fit test. If you want a respirator, buy a new one and learn about how to properly use it.
Ramsey

Return to Mesothelioma Forum