Welcome to Cancer-Forums.net!   

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

Accuracy Of Ultrasound Diagnosis Of Bladder Cancer

All discussions relating to bladder cancer symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis

Postby Eagon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 pm

My mother-in-law was just diagnosed with bladder cancer after seeing a doctor about blood in her urine. She had a blood test and ultrasound, but because it was the day before the start of the week-long national holiday in China(where we live), no further tests will be done until the holiday is over.

The first doctor who did the ultrasound said, based on his experience, it is 99% certain to be cancer. Her white blood cell count is high and there is a mass about 2.5x1.5 cm in her bladder. While I know nothing more than I read on the net, it appears to me to be fairly smooth, not papillary.

She is 87 years old, Chinese, and a nonsmoker with no history of exposure to chemicals, so she is in no way  but age a high risk for this. From all I have seen, until getting a cystoscopy there is little they can say - the symptoms are the same as for a bladder infection, and so I wonder if what they found could reasonably be an inert growth which has been there for years unseen because no one looked before.

How much can you tell from an ultrasound? She had a followup from another doctor whose description of the growth was about half the size of that reported by the original doctor.

She is in general in good health, but at 87 with high blood pressure we don't want to subject her to any more than necessary. How much can we(in general, I know you can't be specific) trust an ultrasound?

Thanks,

russell
Eagon

Postby law » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:57 am

Russell,

A biopsy is necessary for a cancer diagnosis.  In general, it is quite simple to biopsy a bladder tumor(done at the time of cystoscopy, which, as you know, is a look into the inside of the bladder).  If you would not plan on any treatment no matter what the result, whether malignant(cancerous) or benign(noncancerous), it probably is not necessary to do anything but keep an eye on it with serial imaging studies such as ultrasound.  If, however, she would consider therapy, which ranges from excision of the lesion to irrigating the bladder with a type of topical chemotherapy to radiation, it would be important to know what you are dealing with.  

Sincerely,

J. Seigle, MD
law

Postby Medwine » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:50 am

My mother-in-law was just diagnosed with bladder cancer after seeing a doctor about blood in her urine. She had a blood test and ultrasound, but because it was the day before the start of the week-long national holiday in China(where we live), no further tests will be done until the holiday is over.

The first doctor who did the ultrasound said, based on his experience, it is 99% certain to be cancer. Her white blood cell count is high and there is a mass about 2.5x1.5 cm in her bladder. While I know nothing more than I read on the net, it appears to me to be fairly smooth, not papillary.

She is 87 years old, Chinese, and a nonsmoker with no history of exposure to chemicals, so she is in no way  but age a high risk for this. From all I have seen, until getting a cystoscopy there is little they can say - the symptoms are the same as for a bladder infection, and so I wonder if what they found could reasonably be an inert growth which has been there for years unseen because no one looked before.

How much can you tell from an ultrasound? She had a followup from another doctor whose description of the growth was about half the size of that reported by the original doctor.

She is in general in good health, but at 87 with high blood pressure we don't want to subject her to any more than necessary. How much can we(in general, I know you can't be specific) trust an ultrasound?

Thanks,

russell
Medwine

Return to Bladder Cancer