Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: Obesity Breast Cancer Linked Confirmed

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

A Great Danes Life Span..Is It Worth It?

Anything on your mind? Cancer and non-Cancer discussion in here

Postby riccardo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:07 am

Ever since last July I have been looking to get a Great Dane..I read all the things that I need to know about them..I even went as far as to buy a book dedicated to taking care of one..the only thing I am hesitant about it's life span ranging from 7-8 years and on a few websites 8-12 years.. I can understand that loosing any animal can be devastating and especially if it's a large breed..I became even more hesitant when my mom told me about how she had a St. Bernard that died of cancer..when it was around 7 or 8 years old she said it really took a toll on her. So I could REALLY use some of your opinions out there I would assume it WOULD be worth it with all the special memories you can only have with a Great Dane but then again time flies and before you know it 7 years come and go just like that..so I'm stumped I need some advice and opinions from BOTH sides..thanks :)
riccardo

Postby diandre18 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:13 am

My first dane died of bone cancer at the age of 11 yrs. I'm hearing that danes, with good care are even reaching 14 yrs. I wouldn't trade anything for the closeness that I had with that girl.
It's hard to loose any dog, no matter what the age.
diandre18

Postby yasuo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:26 am

any dog is worth it
yasuo

Postby hearpere » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:34 am

Go for it you will always remember and love that dog no matter what happens to it. It is so worth the love and affection you receive from that dog. :)
hearpere

Postby bailefour » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:39 am

When you love a breed, you love them despite any shortcomings. In the case of the Great Dane it is the life span. I have known many Great Danes from reputable breeders that have lived long lives of 10 or 12 years. If you really have an affinity for Great Danes, no other breed will do.
I have bred Dachshunds for 30+ years. I have owned other breeds but through it all, the Dachshunds have been my first love.
If you decide the Great Dane is your breed, you will have a lifetime of enjoyment with them.
bailefour

Postby farand » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 am

The average life span of a Dane is 10 years which is the same as Labs, goldens, GSD and many other breeds. A well bred well cared for Dane can and often does live into their teens.

As far as books go there really is only 1 book out there that is factual and has true, knowledgeable info on Danes and that is Living with Great Danes by Jill Swedlow. There are many other "Dane" books but most have a lot of misinformation. Ms Swedlow has over 40 years living in caring for Danes. She has over 40 years as owner, breeder, trainer, handler & AKC judge of Great Danes.

Danes don't have any more issues then any other breed/mix. Many Danes live long healthy lives..If you buy from a responsible breeder who health tests, breeds for longevity, temperament & breed standard you dramatically increase the odds of having a long lived healthy Dane.
And YES Danes are very well worth it.
farand

Postby airleas » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:53 am

All dogs are unique, which means age of death is never a guarantee. Just because you get a small dog does not automatically mean you will have more time with it, or a big dog less time. I think it would be worse to get a small dog because you think it will live long, then have it die young anyway.

Get the breed and individual that best suits your personality and ability to care for it. Having the right companion is far better than just having a long lived pet.
airleas

Postby cacey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:01 am

It is a tough matter, but they all die far too soon. I often say follow your heart.

Life spans vary due to breeding and care. The bigger the dog, the shorter they live. For more information on life spans, see http://users.pullman.com/lostriver/breeddata.htm
cacey

Return to General Cancer Discussion