Not logged in? Join one of the busiest Cancer Forums on the Internet! Join Now!   Latest blog post: October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Advertisments:

Useful Links:

American Cancer Society
National Cancer Institute
Cancer Definition

4 mm sessile polyp found and removed from sigmoid colon. Confused?

Discuss Colorectal cancers

Postby aghamore61 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm

So I'm only 23 years old and have no family history of Colon Cancer. I was have strange bowel symptoms which lead to a colonoscopy. During the colonoscopy they said everything was totally normal except they found one 4mm sessile polyp in the sigmoid colon which they removed completely.

They said they are sending it to pathology to see if it is adenomatous or hyperplastic. They said if it is the pre-cancerous type I'll have to get re-scoped every 5 years but if it's hyperplastic then I don't need to worry about a scope until later in life.

My questions are. Is 4mm big for a polyp? Is this pretty serious if it is the pre-cancerous type. Should i feel relived about the situation seeing as the polyp (whatever kind it is) got removed completely? Is it possible that even though the polyp was 4mm and removed all the way that I can have cancer right now? Basically, should I still be worried?
aghamore61

Postby garwig95 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm

You need to wait till Bx.report is known.
Benign polyps are much more common at your age than malignant.
And your DOC is sure to guide you all in detail once he sees the report.
Do not worry and trust your DOC.
garwig95

Postby carolos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:26 pm

No this is not serious and 4mm is tiny.
Anything that small is not likely to be cancer and even if it were it was removed so I don’t understand how you think you could still have cancer, unless you mean somewhere else in the body.
Once the pathology report is back you will know if it was really removed completely – it would be hard for it not to be.
You should talk to you doctor about changing your diet you are far too young for any kind of polyp, other than that there is no reason to worry.
carolos

Return to Colon Cancer